We are a strategic unit within the Communications Office. Our staff consists of eight professionals with a collective 70 years experience in print and broadcast journalism, including BBC TV and radio, and media and public relations.
Our aim is to promote Durham University's profile, and manage its world-class reputation internationally, nationally and regionally, in support of the 2020 strategy.
Our work falls into five key areas:
- Proactive media relations: Giving journalists positive news and expert comment.
- Reactive media relations: Managing incoming media enquiries.
- Crisis media relations: Handling sensitive issues that attract media attention; managing media attention during a crisis.
- Media training: Preparing staff and students to talk to the media.
- Horizon scanning: Indentifying and preparing for media opportunities/interest.