Wider Student Experience Committee
Standing Orders wef 1.8.19
(Business Committee of Senate)
These Standing Orders should be read in conjunction with the Joint Standing Orders of Senate and Council.
|Ex officio members:|
|The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience)||Jeremy Cook OBE (Chair)|
|The Director of Experience Durham||Quentin Sloper|
|The Director of Student Wellbeing and Support||Sam Dale|
|Three member of College staff (drawn from among the Principals and Vice-Principals (or equivalent) of the maintained and recognised colleges, including at least one Principal (or equivalent) and at least one Vice-Principal (or equivalent), nominated by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience):|
||Dr Victoria Brown (2022) (19)|
||Professor Ann MacLarnon (2020) (17)|
||Professor Glenn McGregor (2021) (17)|
|Two student representatives nominated by Durham Students' Union:|
A representative of student Common Room Presidents, nominated jointly by the Chairs of JCR Presidents’ Committee and MCR Presidents’ Committee
Two members of academic staff having expertise (academic or professional) relevant to one or more aspects of the Wider Student Experience, drawn from two of the four Faculties on rotation, each nominated by the Executive Dean of the relevant Faculty:
||Professor Jun Jie Wu (2022) (19)|
||Professor Simon James (Deputy Chair) (2021) (17)|
|A representative from Education Committee, nominated by the Chair of Education Committee||tbc|
|Other members of the University will be invited to attend meetings for relevant agenda items.|
|A full date after a member's name indicates that their term of office will expire on the 31 July in that year and a half date indicates the committee year of appointment of that member. eg (2021) (18) indicates that the member was appointed in 2018/19 and their term of office will expire on the 31 July 2021.|
Terms of Reference
- To work with the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience) to secure the implementation of the Wider Student Experience (WSE) Strategy.
- To advise the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience)in the development of such new WSE policies as may become necessary from time to time for reasons internal and external to Durham University, the development of such policies ordinarily being undertaken by Task and Finish Groups established by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience).
- To scrutinize as necessary new policies proposed and to make changes in scope for the delivery of the Wider Student Experience strategy.
- To provide assurance to UEC, Senate and Council of the standards and outcomes of activities in the Wider Student Experience domain.
- To support and promote equality and diversity in all its activities.
- Student development: specifically including programmes for student development, as well as the building of student communities and the three graduate outcomes of intellectual curiosity, personal effectiveness and a sense of belonging and responsibility.
- Student support and wellbeing.
- Student conduct, excluding academic issues.
- All activity in the Colleges relating to the Wider Student Experience.
- Residences and catering.
- DSOs and all recognised bodies related to the Wider Student Experience.
- Policies and Codes of Practice related to the Wider Student Experience.
- Relationships with third parties relevant to the Wider Student Experience established by memoranda of understanding or partnerships.
To review on an annual basis the effectiveness of the Committee against its Terms of Reference. Any changes will be proposed in a Report delivered to Senate at the end of each academic year.
To make recommendations to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience), UEC and Senate on matters within the Committee’s Scope.
- Development and Communities
- Student Support and Wellbeing
The Committee shall receive regular reports from each of its Sub-Committees and relevant Task and Finish Groups.
The Committee shall provide a report to each meeting of Senate.