(Business/Operations Committee of Senate)
These Standing Orders should be read in conjunction with the General Committee section of Standing Orders available on the University's website.
(1) The membership of the Committee shall be:
(a) A Chair appointed by Senate on the recommendation of Nominations Committee.
(b) Fifteen members of staff, comprising five members of staff from each Faculty, who are appointed by Senate on the recommendation of Nominations Committee.
(c) Two members of staff will also serve as Deputy Chairs appointed by Senate on the recommendation of Nominations Committee.
(d) Student representatives nominated by Durham Students' Union, who are to be either students serving on Durham Students' Union/University Committees or Sabbatical Officers who are members of Durham Students' Union.
(2) A Secretary to be appointed by the Chief Operating Officer (Registrar) in consultation with the Chair.
(3) A quorum of five members will attend a discipline hearing and will be comprised of:
(a) The Chair or a Deputy Chair.
(b) Two members of staff, drawn from the panel of fifteen members of staff, who may also be a Deputy Chair.
(c) Two student representatives drawn from those nominated by Durham Students' Union.
(d.) At least one member shall be a man and one a woman.
(4) No member attending a disciplinary hearing should have been involved in the matter at an earlier stage. If necessary, the Vice-Chancellor and Warden shall appoint another Deputy Chair to serve for a particular case.
(5) The members attending a disciplinary hearing shall follow the procedures set out in the University’s General Regulations IV – Discipline.