MESSAGE TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS FROM THE UNIVERSITIES MINISTER
Universities Minister, Michelle Donelan MP, has written a message of support to international students during Covid-19. The letter also provides some helpful links to health, well-being, and other resources.
The Student Immigration Team are here to help you, and are providing advice and support remotely, by email. If you need advice or guidance on immigration, or if you need to make a request for a CAS, you can access support in the following ways:
- For questions regarding your Visa, or for guidance about remaining in the UK or returning home, please contact the team using the Immigration Enquiry Form
- For the latest Covid-19 immigration updates from the University and the Home Office, please see the news page
- To make a request for a CAS, for a Tier 4 extension, please complete the CAS Request Form
- PhD students nearing the end of their studies can access CAS information and guidance on the Doctoral Extension Scheme (DES) here
- Access to detailed guidance on a range of immigration issues related to completing your studies, Police registration, and working after studies, can be found here.
WELLBEING AND SUPPORT
This is a potentially stressful time for everyone, but particularly for those who feel isolated from their usual support networks by distance and time zone.
- We will all feel better if we can create and sustain good networks for mutual support. Engaging with groups on WeChat or WhatsApp, or other social media channels, can help to combat isolation
- Your College can also assist you with finding networks of support. Make sure you contact your College to see if there are any groups you can join. Your College Officers are also available for more general support issues throughout the pandemic period
- If you feel you need specialist support, you can self-refer to the Counselling Service. The Service is working remotely, and can offer counselling sessions via Microsoft Teams. If you are experiencing isolation, anxiety, and depression, which impacts your capacity to be supported by family and friends, please approach the Counselling Service
- On the Counselling Service webpage, you will find information about accessing the specific Out of Hours Support, as well as view links to online mental health resources. The resources available are linked specifically to the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic, and resultant isolation.
STAYING IN TOUCH
Durham International Students' Association can offer support if you remain in residence in Durham.
You can contact the ISA via email: email@example.com
or, you can contact them via their Facebook group.
Your College Common Rooms are available to support you, too, as well as offer you a virtual community to engage with whilst in self-isolation in Durham, or at home. Find your Common Room in the list below, and click the links to join groups and find more information. This page is updated regularly.
College of St Hild and St Bede - SRC
- Join the Bedo's Playtime Group on Facebook for quizzes, challenges, entertainment, and welfare updates
- Check out Coronavirus Memes for Hild Bede Teens on Facebook
- Follow the @Bedos_Barnyard Instagram page to see the pets of Hild Bede
- Follow @hildbedewelfare on Instagram for advice, updates, tips etc.
- Follow the JCR President, Kesia, on her Instagram page @HildBedePrez.
Collingwood College - JCR & MCR
Grey College - JCR & MCR
- Check out the @grey_sabbs Instagram account, and the @greycollegemcr Instagram account
- Also check out the @ingreywepurr Instagram page for cute pictures of pets
- If you're an MCR member, join the Facebook Group
- Check out the Books Facebook Page
- If you're into cooking, look up the Grey's Kitchen Facebook Page
- Keep Fit with Felix, on Facebook, with content from Yoga, GCBC, Cricket, and Running Club
- Explore the Intellectual Curiosity Facebook Page
- For Top Isolation Tips, join the Facebook Page here
- For memes, look up this Facebook Group
- For music recommendations, check out this Facebook Group
- For revision advice, check this Facebook Page
- Art and Photography with Arts Committee on Facebook
- For puzzles, facts, and fun, check out this Facebook Group
- What to Watch - Film and TV, with Bad Film Society, on Facebook
- The JCR Welfare Team host regular drop-ins on Skype 3x weekly - email Leo, JCR President, for more information.
Hatfield College - JCR
- Check out the JCR website
- Follow the Instagram account of the Senior Man, Kathryn @hatfieldjcr
- Follow @teamhatfield and @hatfieldwelfare on Instagram for more updates
- If you're still in Durham, join the Facebook Group
- Everyone, regardless of whether you're in Durham or not, can join the JCR Facebook Group
- Check out the Twitter account @hatfieldjcr.
Hatfield College - MCR
- Make sure you check your emails regularly for updates from MCR President Henry
- Join the Facebook group.
John Snow College - JCR
- Join the Facebook Group.
Josephine Butler College - JCR & MCR
- Watch out for a weekly update via email from the JCR President, Charlotte, and MCR President, Huw
- Join the JCR Facebook Group
- Follow Butler Welfare on Facebook for Skype Drop-In updates, and Skype Tea and Toast
- Join the online Butler Postive Pandemic Pastimes Group
- Follow the JCR President, Charlotte, on Instagram @butler.pres
- Keep an eye on the new JCR website.
Stephenson College - JCR
- Check out the JCR website
- Follow @stephenson.jcr on Instagram
- Follow the College @stephenson_college on Instagram
- Make sure you also follow @stephenson.welfare on Instagram
- Join the Stephenson JCR Facebook Group
- Join the Stevo Locked Up Facebook Group, too.
Stephenson College - MCR
- Join the MCR Facebook Group.
St Aidan's College - JCR
- Join the Facebook Group for all Aidanites, for quizzes, group yoga, memes, and much more
- Stay tuned for Alex's President's Weekly Wipe email for updates and news on events in Easter Term
- Email Alex, the JCR President, with any questions, concerns, and comments you have.
St Aidan's College - SCR
- Check out the Facebook Group.
St Chad's College - JCR & MCR
- Join the Facebook Group for both JCR and MCR members
- Follow @stchadsjcr on Twitter
- Follow @stchadsjcr on Instagram
- Check out @chadshappypost on Instagram, too
- If you're still in Durham, look up the Chad's-John's Still Here page on Facebook
- Take a look at the St Chad's Welfare Facebook page.
St Cuthbert's Society - JCR & MCR
- Check out the JCR's main Instagram page @cuthsjcr
- Join the Cuth's Simultaneous Film Watching Group on Facebook
- Join the Cuth's Livestream Pub Quizzes Facebook Group, for quizzes three times a week
- Sign up to the language learning buddy system scheme using this form.
St John's College - SJCR
- Check out the SJCR website
- Follow the SJCR Instagram account @johns.sjcr
- Join the Facebook Group for St John's Current Students
- Join the Facebook Group 'John's Beyond Covid' for fun activities and distractions
- Check out the College blog, the John's Chronicle.
St Mary's College - JCR
- Check out the Welfare at Mary's Instagram page @welfare.at.marys
- Join the Facebook Group 'Mary's Pandemic Pals', run by the Welfare Team, for positive and self-care-related content
- Join the Facebook Group 'Mary's Covid-19 Simultaneous Film/TV Watching Group', to share TV and films with one another, watch things together, and discuss what you've watched recently
- For any Mary's students still in Durham, there is a Facebook Group called 'Mary's Social Distancing Society'
- Follow the Mary's JCR President, Nuriya, on her Instagram account @marys.pres.
St Mary's College - MCR
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join the 'MCR Info' chat, which cascades the email bulletins to your WhatsApp
- Follow @marysmcrfreshers on Instagram
- Join the St Mary's College MCR Facebook Page
- Check out the MCR website
- Follow this link to join the Microsoft Teams 'Isolation and Chill' group
- Email Aiden, the MCR President, with any questions you have, and if you'd like to join the informal Mary's MCR chat group
- Check out what the JCR are up to and get involved if you'd like to do so.
Trevelyan College - JCR
- Check out the Instagram page of the President, Alistair @trevspres
- Follow the Welfare Instagram page @trevswelfare
- Join the 'Social Distancing Social Club' Facebook Group
- Look up the Welfare Facebook page.
Trevelyan College - MCR
- Join the Facebook Group
- Follow the MCR Instagram account @trevelyanmcr
- Follow the Instagram account of MCR President, Ben, @trevsmcrpres
- Check out the MCR website.
University College - JCR
- Join the Facebook page for Castle JCR members
- Quarantine entertainment can be found on the Instagram account for the JCR @castlejcr.
University College - MCR
- Join the MCR Facebook Group
- Follow @castlemcrdurham on Instagram
- Make sure you read the weekly email update from the MCR Secretary
- Check out the MCR website
- If you want to access the MCR Hardship Fund, email David Lowther in College Office - email@example.com.
Ustinov College - GCR
- The GCR has a Discord Server to allow students to keep in touch with one another via text and voice. Get in touch with GCR President Diana for more information
- There will be a Ustinov Pub Quiz every Thursday at 8:30pm on Zoom. Check out the Facebook group for more information
- Stay tuned for more information on movie nights via watch parties
- Find out more information on wellbeing and social distancing on the GCR website
- Join the GCR Facebook Group
- Check out @ustinovgcr on Instagram
- Follow the GCR on Twitter @UstinovGCR
- Contact GCR President Diana if you want to join the WhatsApp Group and WeChat Group.
Van Mildert College - JCR
- Check out @mildertmeansquarantine on Instagram
- Join the Facebook group for all JCR members.
Van Mildert College - MCR
- Check out @vanmildertmcr on Twitter
- Also look up @vanmildertmcr on Instagram
- Join the Van Mildert MCR Facebook Group.
As well as the Groups and Pages you can explore in the list above, you can email your Common Room President for more information:
- College of St Hild and St Bede
- Collingwood College
- Caragh Evans (JCR and MCR) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grey College
- Hatfield College
- John Snow College
- Richard Freeman (JCR) email@example.com
- Josephine Butler College
- Stephenson College
- St Aidan's College
- St Chad's College
- St Cuthbert's Society
- St John's College
- St Mary's College
- Trevelyan College
- University College
- Ustinov College
- Diana Martinez (GCR) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Van Mildert College