MA in Digital Theology
CODEC's Masters in Digital Theology is the first degree of its kind across the world. It is delivered through a research centre at one of the world's top one hundred universities, linked to a department ranked number 3 in the world. The Masters Degree offers a new opportunity for theological reflection on digital culture and its impact on contemporary religious practice - especially within the context of Christianity.
The course will explore:
- how we think theologically about digital culture and how we might apply digital methodologies to our theological thinking
- how key theological themes are impacted by serious engagement with digitality - what do we mean by incarnation in a digital world; how do we live ethically amidst digital technology; might transhumanism be a form of apocalypticism?
- how religious practice adapts within a dominant digital culture, especially digitally mediated Christianity and whether there are boundaries to that adaptation.
You can take the course both as a one year full time student, or part-time over two or three years. The course will be taught through two teaching blocks, initially in the historic world heritage site of Durham's medieval city, using a variety of online and offline settings.
- Digital Theology
- Digitally Mediated Christianity
- Methodology Module - a choice from:
- Theological and Practical Reflection on Ministry and Mission
- Social Scientific Methods in the Study of Religion
- Ecclesiology and Ethnography
- One free choice module from a range across Durham's Theology provision, including:
- Biblical Literacy in a Media Culture
- The Dialogue of Science and Religion
- Intellect and Imagination: Apologetics in the Mass Media
Dates for core modules in 2018-2019
Masters Programme Induction: September 26-27, 2018
Digitally Mediated Christianity Module:
- Induction, Teaching Block 1, September 24-25, 2018
- 24 hour Digital Symposium, April 23-24, 2019
Dates for other modules will be available through the application process.
For more information, course prospectus and information on fees and entry requirements, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org