MA in Digital Theology
CODEC's Masters in Digital Theology is the first degree of its kind across the world. It is delivered through a research centre at one of the world's top one hundred universities, linked to a department ranked number 3 in the world. The Masters Degree offers a new opportunity for theological reflection on digital culture and its impact on contemporary religious practice - especially within the context of Christianity.
The course will explore:
- how we think theologically about digital culture and how we might apply digital methodologies to our theological thinking
- how key theological themes are impacted by serious engagement with digitality - what do we mean by incarnation in a digital world; how do we live ethically amidst digital technology; might transhumanism be a form of apocalypticism?
- how religious practice adapts within a dominant digital culture, especially digitally mediated Christianity and whether there are boundaries to that adaptation.
You can take the course both as a one year full time student, or part-time over two or three years. The course will be taught through two teaching blocks, initially in the historic world heritage site of Durham's medieval city, using a variety of online and offline settings.
- Digital Theology
- Digitally Mediated Christianity
- Methodology Module - a choice from:
- Theological and Practical Reflection on Ministry and Mission
- Social Scientific Methods in the Study of Religion
- Ecclesiology and Ethnography
- One free choice module from a range across Durham's Theology provision, including:
- Biblical Literacy in a Media Culture
- The Dialogue of Science and Religion
- Intellect and Imagination: Apologetics in the Mass Media
Dates for core modules in 2018-2019
Masters Programme Induction: September 26-27, 2018
Digitally Mediated Christianity Module:
- Induction, Teaching Block 1, September 24-25, 2018
- 24 hour Digital Symposium, April 23-24, 2019 including Missio Dei Programme to Book go to Eventbrite
Dates for other modules will be available through the application process.
For more information, course prospectus and information on fees and entry requirements, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on The Professor Rae Earnshaw Scholarship