What is MediaLit?
A five day training course at St John's College, Durham University offering the very best of theological reflection, academic interaction and practical training on digital culture, communications and media for those engaged in Christian ministry at any level.
MediaLit is open to anyone interested in engaging with the media – mass media, broadcast media, social media, community media. It’s about getting you equipped to work with media professionals to convey good news to your community. You don’t need to be a media specialist, or a technology geek to join the course. Come along, engage in the discussions, join in the activities, learn something new!
CODEC will be holding its ninth MediaLit training course from 11th to 15th June 2018 exploring Christian ministry, communications and the media, with a special emphasis on digital culture.
Previous MediaLit courses, held annually since 2010 (see 'Related Links'), have been greatly valued by the participants – ministerial students/ordinands, ministers, media professionals, diocesan and district communications officers.
Speakers so far
Tim Hutchings, CODEC Research Fellow in Discipleship
David Ford, CODEC Fellow in Digital Theology
Karen O'Donnell, CODEC Fellow in Digital Pedagogy
Peter Phillips, CODEC Director
Andrew Byers, Free Church Tutor, Cranmer Hall
Book: CODEC ADMINISTRATOR -
WHEN: Monday June 11th - Friday June 15th, 2018
(full days Mon-Thurs: 0830-2030, half day Fri 0830-1400)
WHERE: St John's College, Durham
COST: £350 including lunch and evening meal, refreshments, and teaching. Discretionary discounts are available for those who are ordained (£300) or unwaged (£200)
- Event Durham (rooms in Colleges, University accommodation)
- Premier Inn, Durham City Centre
- Travelodge, Durham
- Radisson Blu, Durham
- Marriott, Durham
Feedback received includes:
- The course has affirmed for me the real need for the church to engage with media issues and given me tools and skills to take that challenge forward.
- Excellent quality of teaching from both in-house and external speakers; relevant and current experience. well structured. Inspirational speakers.
- I would strongly recommend the MediaLit course to everyone in leadership, including those in churches and business. This course is essential in engaging important messages in an age of ever-changing communication techniques.
- A course which combines sound and thoughtful theological and biblical teaching integrated with cutting edge digital media.
- Essential media training for leaders in Christian churches.
- Excellent even for a technophobe like me!
- The course leadership provoked excellent discussion and brought a full learning experience to the course.
MediaLit is open to anyone interested in engaging with the media - mass media, broadcast media, social media, community media.
Come along and add your voice to the conversation.