What is CODEC?
CODEC is a research initiative based at St John's College in Durham - a new institution in a hundred year old College exploring the interfaces between the Bible, the digital environment and contemporary culture. CODEC is set within the World Heritage Site of Durham's medieval Cathedral and Castle, an integral part of St John's College, Durham University. We have close links to the Department of Theology and Religion at the University.
CODEC aims to
- explore the interrelationship between Christianity and the media, spirituality and the internet
- understand the development in human relationships and self-perception within a digital media world
- research and develop teaching tools appropriate for a digital media world
- assess and resource the Christian community's appreciation of the digital environment
- increase the Church's ability to communicate effectively in the digital environment