Service availability notifications
We make every effort to keep your IT services available when you need them but sometimes we need to update, fix or maintain equipment which can result in IT services being temporarily unavailable. If you would like to be informed in the event that any IT services you use are disrupted, you can subscribe to our notification system.
If you do subscribe, we will email* your personal University email account with information when your chosen services are affected. As well as sending emails, we publish information which is available for anyone to see on our Service Status page www.dur.ac.uk/cis/servicestatus and on our Twitter account www.twitter.com/Durhamuni_cis
You subscribe based on the CIS IT services you use, in the locations you may find yourself studying or working. Select at least one IT service and at least one location from the list on our subscription page (www.dur.ac.uk/cis/password/servicestatus/subscribe
These examples illustrate how you make your selections:
If you are a student and use the internet, duo, student email, file store and library services and you are based at Josephine Butler College but work mainly in the Bill Bryson Library and Elvet Riverside, select those services and locations from the lists.
If you are a member of staff and use the internet, duo, staff email, file store, Banner and Syllabus Plus and you work in the Ebsworth Building but also spend some time working in the Wolfson Research Institute, select those services and locations from the lists.
Please be aware that we can only keep you advised about CIS provided IT services as listed.
*In the event that email services are unavailable we will update our Service Status page and our Twitter account.
- Selecting your services
- There is an option to select 'All IT Services' however only chose this if you really want to be contacted in the event that ANY CIS IT service is disrupted. To avoid receiving uneccessary emails, it's better to be specific about the services you use.
- Quite often, disruptions can affect a number of services at the same time. This means you will receive emails containing the details of all services and locations affected, at least one of which will be from your subscription.
- Selecting your locations
- We have organised the University into 8 very broad geographical catchment areas (Elvet Leazes Rd area, Hill Colleges East, Hill Colleges West, Lower Mountjoy, Peninsula, Upper Mountjoy, Queen's Campus and Ushaw) and individual locations we can report on are listed underneath the appropriate area.
- As with services, subscribe to locations specific to you - where you work, study and live if you're resident in a college. If you subscribe to 'all University locations' or 'all Queen's campus locations' you will be notified whenever services are disrupted in ANY of those locations so unless you really want or need to know about all these areas, it's better to be specific.
- Whilst there is a limit to the level of geographical detail we can go down to, if you're in a location which isn't listed, let us know via the option at the bottom of the subscription page and if appropriate we'll add it to the list or get back to you with advice.
- Upating your subscription
- You can update or cancel your subscription at any time and changes take effect immediately after you've saved them.