We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Computing and Information Services

User registration

Personal registrations

All members of the University are entitled to use computing facilities provided by Computing and Information Services. In order to use these facilities, you must be registered with CIS and have a computing username.

A single username is sufficient for the Managed Desktop Service (MDS), the academic Linux service and the Networked PC service (NPCS). Separate registration is necessary for some specialist services such as the High Performance Computing Service. Registration forms for these services are available online, or from the IT Service Desk.

People who wish to use CIS facilities who are not currently members of the University - e.g. visiting academics, certain conference participants should read the document Use of CIS Facilities . This document states CIS policy in dealing with users who are neither staff nor students of the University.

Please note: all registered users of CIS facilities are bound by the University Regulations for the Use of IT Facilities

All students properly registered with the University are pre-registered for CIS facilities and have their CIS username printed on their Campus Card. An initial password is set and details of this may be found in the CIS student handbook. Erasmus and other visiting students should visit the IT Service Desk and fill in a user registration form.

Members of staff should register to use all services by filling in a staff registration form available from the IT Service Desk or online .

For information about choosing a secure password, please see InfoSheet 40: Passwords and their Security.

Non-personal registrations

Non-personal usernames are available for purposes such as:

  • Providing departmental or college WWW pages
  • Departmental projects
  • Student clubs and societies

To obtain a non-personal username, please fill in a non-personal registration form, available from the IT Service Desk or online . The form should be countersigned by the Budget Centre Officer (in the case of departments) or by a member of the Executive (in the case of a student society or JCR).