Code of conduct for web publishing
The web service in Durham is provided primarily as a support to core business activities of the University. This principle will inform decisions which are made concerning the provision of resources (including software, storage capacity, network infrastructure and support staff).
Pages providing externally-facing information on official University activities such as teaching, research, student support or administration must be delivered through the University’s web Content Management System unless otherwise agreed with University Marketing and Communications. All pages must be the responsibility of at least one nominated Site Contact, who must ensure that the pages are kept up to date and correct. Web-based information, tools and applications restricted for use by University members only may be delivered in alternative ways as arranged with CIS.
Personal pages, or pages for unofficial University groups such as student societies, may be hosted on community.dur.ac.uk.
All pages must comply with regulations governing use of University IT facilities. Failure to observe any of the following points may be considered a misuse of University IT facilities:
- Published information must adhere to the University’s accessibility policy and respect current legislation and regulations (DDA, ASA, CMA, etc)
- Offensive, inappropriate or illegal material must not be included.
- Potentially defamatory material which could be held to impugn the reputation of people or organisations must not be included.
- On personal pages, personal opinions should not be expressed as if they were the opinion, or policy, of the University, or any other organisation.
- Personal pages must not use the University name or crest as a header or title.
- Official pages must conform to a set of rules of presentation provided by the University, which are where possible applied automatically by the Content Management System.
Note that this Code of Practice is based on current web governance arrangements which are under review.