The eduroam service is available across the Durham University campus to visiting academic staff and students. The service is provided by JANET and only available to WiFi enabled devices. Wired eduroam access, the ability to logon to a wired university point or a university managed PC, is not currently available.
If you require wired guest access or are a guest outside of the academic community and need a guest account, please refer to the University Library pages.
Please ensure your wireless is turned on and your wireless adaptor connection is enabled.
Wherever you see the eduroam wireless network available, you will be able to connect as detailed.
Configuring eduroam for Windows 7
- First click on the Network notification icon
- Click on Network and Sharing Center
- Select Manage wireless networks from the side panel
- Click Add
- Click Manually create a network profile
- Set the Network name to eduroam
- Security type needs to be set to WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption type should be AES
- Leave Security Key blank
- Click Next
- Click Change connection settings
- Select the Security tab
- Set the authentication method to Microsoft Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Click Settings...
- Deselect Validate server certificate
- Ensure that the authentication method is set to Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAPv2)
- Click Configure...
- Deselect Automatically use my windows logon name
- Click OK on this and on all previous windows to apply all changes made
- Once back to the Manually connect to a wireless network window, click Close
- Now try to connect to the eduroam network
- Click on the Network notification icon
- Select eduroam from the list of available wireless networks
- Click Connect
- You will then be asked to authenticate
- Enter your login and password from your home institution and remember to include your realm (domain) in the username e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click OK
- You may be presented with a Dialog box saying "The connection attempt could not be completed" depending on device settings.
- If you are presented with this Dialog box please click the "Connect" option.