Access from within the Durham University Network
From a PC with NPCS or MDS installed
- To display the Mate desktop: Click Start on the Windows toolbar and from the pop up menu select Programs > Durham University Network > Connect to CIS linux A window will be opened at which you can enter your CIS username and password and after succesful authentication, the Mate desktop will be displayed.
- Using Putty: To begin click Start on the Windows toolbar and from the pop up menu select Programs > Durham University Network > Putty. Putty is a secure and easy to use client but if you have trouble connecting using the Putty software, please see the FAQ.
From a PC with Windows that is connected to the Durham University Network
- Using X2Go: You can download the latest X2Go client from x2go.org. You will need to set the session type to "MATE". The hostname is mira.dur.ac.uk
- Using Putty: if Putty is not installed you can download it. Enter the Host Name as vega.dur.ac.uk, select the Protocol to be SSH and select Connection > SSH > Preferred SSH protocol version to be 2. You can save this set-up as Mira. Click Open and enter your CIS username and password.
From another Linux or Unix computer that is connected to the Durham University Network
- Type ssh -X mira.dur.ac.uk
The -X option enables X11 forwarding which is necessary for graphical applications.