The Mate desktop
The Mate desktop environment enables the use of a windowing environment on a Linux desktop computer.
It provides a number of general utilities, including
Users with a Unix (Sendmail) email account
- The Pine mailer, which is command line based, is available for this type of account.
- To start this click the Durham Icon on the Mate desktop toolbar and select Email I Pine.
- This mailer is documented in CIS Guide 16: An introduction to electronic mail using Pine.
Users with an Durham Exchange service email account
- Users with an Exchange email acount can use Outlook Web Access (OWA) for electronic mail.
- This is a browser based version of Microsoft Outlook and has many of the Outlook features.
- It can be used with most browsers and the CIS InfoSheet 183: Using Outlook Web Access offers an introduction.
- To start OWA click the Email icon on the Mate desktop toolbar
- The web browsers on the Linux workstations are Iceweasel (Firefox) and Chromium which can be started from the Applications I Internet menu on the Mate desktop.
- Iceweasel (Firefox) is released by the Mozilla Foundation open source software project.
- The LibreOffice package is installed on the Linux desktop computers.
- This is a free, Microsoft Office compatible, open source office suite, which can be used to prepare documents, and create spreadsheets and presentations.
- It can be accessed by clicking the Applications I Office menu on the Mate desktop.
- It will display a pop-up menu from which a particular tool can be selected.