This is work undertaken to ensure that University IT services are kept up to date and in good working order. It can include (but isn't limited to).
- Replacing equipment that is about to go out of date to reduce the risk of failure and any resulting disruption to your services.
- Replacing equipment that has broken to get your services back up and running as quickly as possible.
- Updating software so that we benefit from the latest patches and fixes, and so that we stay within the terms of any support contracts that we have with our suppliers (if software isn't up to date, they can withdraw their help!).
- Updating or improving security to that your systems and information are protected
- Implementing new software or equipment to support existing services and systems or to allow us to implement new ones for you.
If we don't carry out this activity frequently, your IT is more likely to break and become unavailable and disrupt your day.