Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get help with unsupported software?
Unfortunately, the IT Service is unable to provide advice on unsupported software. Although a number of unsupported applications are available on NPCS, no information or advice is given on this software. There are more details available on supported/unsupported software at http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/software/pages/.
Can I use a tab-delimited format file for importing data into SPSS?
Tab-delimited files can be opened in SPSS:
- Select File | Open | Data.
- Choose Data (*.dat) as the File Type.
- Select your file and click Open.
- Follow the wizard steps to define your data format.
Can students buy Microsoft Office from the Service Desk?
No not directly, students can buy educational priced software under the Microsoft Student Select Agreement at www.pugh.co.uk, for more details please see http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/software/microsoft/student/
Do you have information on TEX?
A manual is also available from the Helpdesk for short-term loan.
How can I buy ArcGIS?
There are two versions available, ArcView and ArcInfo. Both products contain the same core software components ArcMap, ArcCatalog and ArcToolbox. The majority of users will find ArcView suitable for their needs, ArcInfo is a more advanced version of the application which has additional cartographic tools within the ArcToolbox component.
How can I buy Endnote?
EndNote is available for installation on all University owned/leased PCs and Macs.
If you would like EndNote installing on your University owned/leased PC or Mac please send a request to the Service Desk stating your machine name.
EndNote is NOT available for home use. However, as we have a site licence, staff and students can purchase EndNote for home use at discounted pricing from Bilaney Consultants
To obtain the discounted price you may need to log in with your Durham username and password.
The costs are:
£72 for an electronic download or £75 to receive a copy of the media via post.
How can I buy Minitab?
Details of how to buy Minitab can be found at http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/software/minitab/.
How can I buy SPSS?
You can obtain SPSS from the Service Desk self-service portal
How can I obtain a new ArcView licence file?
The new licence file for ArcView can be downloaded from the following location. Once you have saved the file to your computer, double click on the icon and follow the on screen prompts.
Right click on the link below and save the file as UNK127054649_v93.esu9
How can I zip/unzip files?
The NPCS runs a utility called 'Power Archiver' which enables users to zip and unzip files. It is located in the Utilities menu from the Start button. For further information please see Infosheet 139 available from the Helpdesk or online at: http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/its/info/infosheets/139PowerArchiver.pdf
How do I configure Internet Explorer to open office files in the appropriate Office program?
To configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in the appropriate Office program by using the Folder Options tool:
- Open My Computer.
- On the Tools menu (or the View menu), click Folder Options (or click Options).
- Click the File Types tab.
- In the Registered file types list, click the specific Office document type (for example, Microsoft Excel Worksheet), and then click Advanced (or click Edit).
- In the Edit File Type dialog box, click to clear the Browse in same window check box (or click to clear the Open Web documents in place check box).
- Click OK.
How do I copy from SPSS into Word?
The basic procedure is the same whether you are copying data from the data window or text, tables or a chart from the viewer. It involves copying the text, table or chart from SPSS to the Windows Clipboard, then pasting from the Clipboard into a Word document.
- In SPSS, run the appropriate procedures to generate the output you require.
- Select (i.e. highlight) the item (text, table or chart) you want to copy.
- From the Edit menu select Copy. This will copy the selection to the Windows Clipboard. To copy multiple items, use Copy Objects from the Edit menu.
- In Word, open the document into which you want to paste the selected item.
- Position the text insertion point where you want to insert the item.
- From the Edit menu select Paste Special and choose Picture.
This will insert the material from the Windows Clipboard into your document.
How do I expand tar files?
A tar file has several files compressed into the same file. The tar command will expand these files into (usually) the current directory.
To check which directory and for a list of commands use:
tar tf file.tar
To expand the file, use the command:
tar xvf file.tar
How do I install SPSS 15 on a Windows Vista PC?
In order to install SPSS 15 on a machine running Windows Vista you need to apply the SPSS 15 Vista HOTFIX patch during the installation process. Please follow the instructions below:
- Insert the SPSS 15 disk and select Install SPSS
- Select Single User licence and click the confirmation boxes until the Software begins to install
- Once the installation is complete click the Get a license now button and then click OK
- At this point you need to stop the process, click Quit and confirm you want to Quit the licence procedure
- Download and run the SPSS 15 Vista HOTFIX from the following location - http://support.spss.com/Student/Patches/SPSS/Windows/15/SPSS15VistaHotfix.exe
I'm experiencing problems with ArcInfo on Windows Vista, what should I do?
In SPSS what does the error message 'The current license does not permit this job to continue' mean?
If your operating systems is Microsoft Vista and you have SPSS 15 installed and you encounter this problem there are a number of solutions. SPSS released a hotfix to solve a number of issues between SPSS 15 and the Vista operating system, see FAQ 1126 (http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/info/faqs/?faqno=1126)
If you have installed the hotfix then try running SPSS as an administrator. To do this click Start > Programs > SPSS for Windows > and then right click on the SPSS program icon and select Properties. From the Compatibility tab put a tick in the box Run this program as an administrator.
If you are still having problems please contact the IT Service Desk with the error message that SPSS is reporting, including the error number, description and symptom number. Ie Error #7003 - “Current license does not permit job to continue” - Specific symptom number: 37
What software can I borrow from the IT Service Desk?
The IT Service Desk stocks a number of Microsoft Applications under the Microsoft Campus Agreement & Select 6 licence. More information on this service is available here.