Congratulations and Welcome
Many congratulations on securing a place in Combined Honours in Social Sciences at Durham University. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to the University, and to supporting your studies in the Combined Honours in Social Sciences (CHSS) programme over the coming three or four years.
The CHSS programme enables you to design your own degree, through combining modules in two, three, or even four subjects. In the light of the flexibility of this programme, it is very unlikely that any two students will complete their degrees by taking exactly the same combination of modules, and we aim to treat every CHSS student as an individual. We are very proud of the achievements of our students, in each of their departments, in their colleges, and in the University as a whole, and we look forward to welcoming you to the CHSS community.
Enrolment opens eight weeks before the start of your programme. After your acceptance (AS12) has been processed (usually within two weeks of your acceptance being received) you will receive two email messages from firstname.lastname@example.org which provide:
- Your Computing and Information Services (CIS) username
- How to derive your CIS password and guidance on how to access the system
The messages are sent 24 hours apart and are sent to the email address you provided when you applied so it’s important to let us know of any changes to this information by contacting the Student Records Team at email@example.com. You may also need to monitor your spam folders to see if the messages have arrived there.
After you have received both emails you will need to:
- Change your password
- Log into Durham University Online – duo https://duo.dur.ac.uk
- Choose the “Banner Self Service” link in duo under “External Tools”
- Choose Registration and Enrolment
- Enrol with the University
- Upload a photograph for your campus card
Module registration is a three stage process which includes:
- Selection of modules
- Approval of modules
- Approval of overall module selection
The first stage is where you confirm your programme of study and choose your modules. The second stage of the process is where departments approve your choice of modules. The third stage is where the CHSS Office approves your overall module selection.
More information on module registration can be found at: https://www.dur.ac.uk/student.registry/student/registration/modreg/.
You will receive further guidance on module choice via email and duo in August and September.
You will receive the following after you have confirmed your place at Durham:
• two emails from the University, informing you of your username and password
• an email from the Director of Combined Honours in Social Sciences
You should find the following in the CHSS Freshers Site in duo:
• guidance on researching your choice of modules
• an electronic version of the CHSS Handbook
• any information supplied to us by departments
Your first week in Durham - Induction Timetable
Induction Week includes many different kinds of activities, at the departmental, college, and university level, and the scheduling of these activities is designed to ensure that as many of them as possible are compatible with one another. Click on the link to see the University Online Planner https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/welcome/planner/
You are required to attend two presentations relating to Combined Honours in Social Sciences:
• CHSS Induction Session 1: Monday 2nd October 2017, 1.00 - 2.00 p.m, Elvet Riverside 1 - Room 142
• CHSS Induction Session 2: Thursday 5th October 2017, 9.00 - 10.30 a.m, Elvet Riverside 1 - Room 142
You should also attend departmental sessions, which introduce students to a subject as 'an academic community of practice' and explain what will be required of you in studying the subject. These will be held for CHSS students on Thursday 5th and Friday 6th October 2017, in Elvet Riverside, for most subjects.
You might also want to attend any other relevant departmental sessions which fit with your timetable.
Details of the CHSS and departmental sessions can be found via the University Online Planner.
If you have questions about the enrolment and registration process, or your commitments in Induction Week, to which you cannot find the answers here or in the CHSS Freshers Site in duo, please feel free to contact the CHSS Office:
phone: 0191 3341016