Frequently Asked Questions: Services for Employers
Student Employment Service
What is the Student Employment Service?
The Student Employment Service helps students find temporary, part-time, one-off or seasonal paid work by advertising for businesses in the Durham and Stockton areas.
Why use the Student Employment Service?
- There is no cost for local employers to advertise vacancies with the Student Employment Service
- The service is quick and simple to use making it easy to recruit as the need arises.
- Vacancies are promoted to all students through our dedicated online portal and weekly email bulletins.
- Through advertising your vacancies with the Student Employment Service you are also raising your organisation's profile amongst our students.
- Our Student Employment Service Coordinator is on hand to offer advice where appropriate including; rates of pay, information on employing international students and employment legislation for job adverts.
- The Student Employment Service is a professional service that follows nationally recognised Codes of Practice
Click on the link how to advertise for more details.
How do I register my company details?
- Visit https://www.dur.ac.uk/careers/employers/vacancyservice/ses/codeofp/how-to-advertise/ to register your organisation with our advertising system.
- Complete your organisation profile and add your contact details, clicking Register when complete.
Tip: Add as much information as possible including your company logo to attract the most interest from students.
- Your registration will be sent to the Student Employment Service Coordinator for approval, and in the meantime you can begin to upload your vacancies.
If you have already registered with us please select 'Log in' to access the system using your username and password.
How do I check whether my company is already registered?
Please contact our Student Employment Service Coordinator on 0191 334 1429 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have registered my company details but have not received a username and password. What should I do?
Each company registration requires the approval of the Student Employment Service Coordinator, which may take up to five working days to process. If you have not received any correspondence from us regarding your registration after this time, please contact the Student Employment Service Coordinator on 0191 334 1429 or via email at email@example.com.
I have forgotten my login details.
Your username is the email address that was entered during the registration process.
In order to reset your password, please visit https://careers.dur.ac.uk/employer/login, and select Reset Organisation Password. A new password will be emailed to you automatically.
In order to change your password to something more memorable, please login to the system and visit the Update user profile on the Profile menu.
How do I change the contact names for my company?
Once you have logged in using the username and password provided, please select Profile > Organisation and Users Details.
Select the Contacts and Users tab, where you may then either add a new contact or amend an existing record.
If you do not have a username and password but would like to be added to your organisation’s contact list, please contact the Student Employment Service Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org providing the following information:-
- Contact name
- Phone number(s)
- Email address
- Job title
I have registered for the Student Employment Service. How do I now advertise a vacancy to enrolled students?
Once registered, please submit your vacancies to our system by logging in and completing the online form.
- Click on Post New Opportunity to enter all of your vacancy information. Tip: Provide as much information as you can to encourage students to confidently apply. By providing an Application URL or Application Email in the fields provided, you will be able to track how many students have considered applying for your vacancies.
- Read and agree to our policies, which can be found at the bottom of this page, before clicking Post.
- The vacancy will now be sent for approval, and once published will be visible to all Durham students.
How do I re-advertise an expired vacancy?
- In order to re-advertise an expired vacancy, please log in to the system and select Opportunities > Opportunities Management
- Change the Status in the Search Filters from Published (the default) to Expired and click Search.
- Select the vacancy you wish to re-advertise by clicking Actions, then Post – please remember to amend the expiry date and closing date as prompted.
How do I upload my company’s logo?
- Save your logo as a jpeg or gif file
- Once you have logged in to the system, go to Profile > Organisations and Users Details.
- On the Basic Information tab, scroll down to the Organisation logo section under Other Details. Click on Choose File, locate your file and click Upload Image. Please make your file no more than 200Kb and no larger than dimensions 200x120 pixels.
- Should you need to change the logo, click Reset Image and repeat the above process.
Who can I contact for further information?
If you would like to know more about the Student Employment Service please contact the Student Employment Service Coordinator:
Telephone: 0191 334 1429