Frequently Asked Questions: Services for Employers
What is the Vacancy Advertising Service?
The Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre at Durham University offers employers access to a free vacancy advertising system; this is a self-service system which allows users to manage their advertising online.
Further information about the service can be found at the Vacancy Advertising section of the website
What are the benefits of using the service?
- Upload and manage your organisation’s profile and display your logo
- Submit graduate vacancies, internships and placements directly
- Submit advertisements for local temporary, part-time, one-off or seasonal paid work (for further information please see Student Employment Service)
- Manage named users online
- Manage expiry dates and remove filled vacancies
- Contact the Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre directly from your profile page
How do I register my company details?
- Visit https://www.dur.ac.uk/careers/employers/vacancyservice/advertising/ to register your organisation with our advertising system.
- Complete your organisation profile and add your contact details, clicking Register when complete.
Tip: Add as much information as possible including your company logo to attract the most interest from students.
- Your registration will be sent to the Vacancy Coordinator for approval, and in the meantime you can begin to upload your vacancies.
If you have already registered with us please select 'Log In' to access the system using your username and password.
How do I check whether my company is already registered?
Please contact our Vacancy Coordinator on 0191 334 1433 or via email at email@example.com.
I have registered my company details but have not received a username and password. What should I do?
Each company registration requires the approval of the Vacancy Coordinator, which may take up to five working days to process. If you have not received any correspondence from us regarding your registration after this time, please contact the Vacancy Coordinator on 0191 334 1433 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have forgotten my login details.
Your username is the email address that was entered during the registration process.
In order to reset your password, please visit https://careers.dur.ac.uk/employer/login, and select Reset Organisation Password. A new password will be emailed to you automatically.
In order to change your password to something more memorable, please login to the system and visit the Update user profile on the Profile menu.
How do I change the contact names for my company?
Once you have logged in using the username and password provided, please select Profile > Organisation and Users Details.
Select the Contacts and Users tab, where you may then either add a new contact or amend an existing record.
If you do not have a username and password but would like to be added to your organisation’s contact list, please contact the Vacancy Coordinator at email@example.com providing the following information:-
- Contact name
- Phone number(s)
- Email address
- Job title
I have registered for the Vacancy Advertising Service. How do I now advertise a vacancy to enrolled students and registered graduates?
Once registered, please submit your vacancies to our system by logging in and completing the online form.
- Click on Post New Opportunity to enter all of your vacancy information. Tip: Provide as much information as you can to encourage students to confidently apply. By providing an Application URL or Application Email in the fields provided, you will be able to track how many students have considered applying for your vacancies.
- Read and agree to our policies, which can be found at the bottom of this page, before clicking Post.
- The vacancy will now be sent for approval, and once published will be visible to all Durham students.
How do I re-advertise an expired vacancy?
- In order to re-advertise an expired vacancy, please log in to the system and select Opportunities > Opportunities Management
- Change the Status in the Search Filters from Published (the default) to Expired and click Search.
- Select the vacancy you wish to re-advertise by clicking Actions, then Post – please remember to amend the expiry date and closing date as prompted.
How do I upload my company’s logo?
- Save your logo as a jpeg or gif file
- Once you have logged in to the system, go to Profile > Organisations and Users Details.
- On the Basic Information tab, scroll down to the Organisation logo section under Other Details. Click on Choose File, locate your file and click Upload Image. Please make your file no more than 200Kb and no larger than dimensions 200x120 pixels.
- Should you need to change the logo, click Reset Image and repeat the above process.
How do I create maximum publicity for my vacancy?
Placing your opportunities on our Vacancy Advertising System has been found to be the single most effective way of reaching our students and recent graduates. Registration is quick and easy; our system allows you to enter the details personally, ensuring that the advertisement meets your requirements.
You can also purchase an enhanced advertising service by sponsoring our weekly Vacancy Bulletin or taking a featured paragraph within it.
Please see the Vacancy Bulletin section of the website for further information.
How do I keep my vacancy posted indefinitely?
The maximum time permitted for a vacancy to be displayed on our system is one year. You will receive an automated prompt when the advertisement is due to expire, and can then use the Opportunities Management feature to extend it for another year.
Alongside the relevant vacancy, select Actions > Extend, and enter the new expiry date for the opportunity.
Please see also How do I extend the expiry date of a vacancy?
How do I extend the expiry date of a vacancy?
Once logged in, you can use the Opportunities Management facility to extend a vacancy (please see How do I keep my vacancy posted indefinitely? for further information).
However, if the vacancy is very close to expiry, you may not be able to amend the details yourself. In this instance, please contact the Vacancy Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to request this, providing the following details:
- Company name
- Title of vacancy
- Reference number
- New expiry date
I have entered the details of an opportunity onto the website, but cannot see this under Opportunities Management.
Each job advert requires the approval of the Vacancy Coordinator prior to being published so this is not an instantaneous process. If you cannot see the details after five working days, and have not received an email from us concerning the vacancy details, please contact the Vacancy Coordinator at email@example.com.
Do you accept posters to help advertise my jobs within the University?
We are unable to accept posters for individual job advertisements; however, the Careers Centre’s Information Team maintains a folder of posters for graduate schemes. For further information, along with the required criteria for graduate scheme posters, please contact the Information Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can I contact for further information?
Should you have any queries or need any further support please don’t hesitate to contact Emma Harrington (Vacancy Coordinator); Emma can be contacted by calling 0191 334 1433 or via email@example.com.