Miss Mercy Denedo
BSc, MSc, ACA, AFHEA
Mercy joined Durham University in 2017 having been a doctoral student at Heriot-Watt University. During her doctoral studies, she was a Graduate Teaching Assistant at Heriot-Watt University. Prior to this role, she has held academic roles as an Assistant Lecturer and as a Graduate Teaching Assistant at Delta State University. Her research interest focuses on interdisciplinary studies on accountability in relation to human rights, corporate social responsibility, counter accounting, stakeholders’ engagement and sustainable development.
Mercy Denedo is an Assistant Professor in Accounting. Before joining Durham in November 2017, she was a doctoral student and a Graduate Teaching Assistant at Heriot-Watt University. Her undergraduate and MSc degrees were in Accounting from the Delta State University, Nigeria and Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge respectively.
Underlining Mercy’s research is an interest on social and environmental issues that affect our everyday realities from a critical perspective. Mercy’s research is concerned with how accounting or other alternative forms of accounting could be used to facilitate stakeholders’ engagement, improve governance and accountability, organisational decision making and their everyday operations. Her doctoral research focused on the use of counter accounts (alternative accounts) and accountability in the advancement of human rights and sustainable development in a conflict arena. This research explored the use of diverse typologies of counter accounts in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria in bridging, building and driving effective dialogic actions, accountability and governance reforms. While conducting her doctoral research, she was opportune to engage with different stakeholders’ groups in order to understand the implications of counter accounts within this conflict arena. The interviews’ evidence from these stakeholders along with qualitative content analysis formed the empirical evidence for her doctoral research. She aspires to conduct future research embedded within this core research interest by exploring interdisciplinary studies on counter accounts in conflict arenas, sustainability accounting, NGOs accountability, and public-sector accounting, especially from developing countries.
Mercy’s research has been presented at international conferences, seminar and doctoral colloquia including those organised by the British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA), Asia-Pacific Interdisciplinary Research in Accounting (APIRA), the Alternative Accounts Conference Canada, Aston Business School Accounting Seminar, Heriot-Watt Accounting seminar, the Inaugural Conference for the Alternative Account Europe Conference and the Centre for Social and Environmental Accounting Research (CSEAR).
- Counter accounting in conflict arenas
- Social, environmental and Sustainability accounting
- NGOs accountability
- Public-sector accounting especially on developing countries
- MacIntosh, R., Farrington, T., Sanders, J. & Denedo, M. (2016). Writing Up: A Tool Kit for Constructing your written Project. In Research Methods for Accounting and Finance. Paterson, A., Leung, D., Jackson, W., MacIntosh, R. & O’Gorman, K. Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers.
- Denedo, M., MacLaren, A. & Hill, E. (2016). Formulating a Research Project. In Research Methods for Accounting and Finance. Paterson, A., Leung, D., Jackson, W., MacIntosh, R. & O’Gorman, K. Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers.
- Milios, V., Farrukh, A., Kotsias, S. & Denedo, M. (Forthcoming). Chapter 8: Social Accounting and Public-Sector Organisations. In Contemporary Issues in Social Accounting. Paterson, A.S., Yonekura, A., Jackson, W.J. & Jubb, D. Goodfellow Publishers.
- Denedo, M. (Forthcoming). Mini case studies: Nigerian Oil Spill Monitor: accountability hybridisation for sustainable development. In Contemporary Issues in Social Accounting. Paterson, A.S. Yonekura, A. Jackson, W.J. & Jubb, D.
- Kotsias, S., Denedo, M., Farrukh, A. & Milios, V. (Forthcoming). Chapter 9: Social Accounting and Third Sector Organisations. In Contemporary Issues in Social Accounting. Paterson, A.S., Yonekura, A., Jackson, W.J. & Jubb, D. Goodfellow Publishers.
- Denedo, M., Thomson, I. & Yonekura, A. (2017). International advocacy NGOs, counter accounting, accountability and engagement.. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 30(6): 1309-1343.
- Denedo, M., Thomson, I. & Yonekura, A. (2017). Accountability, Maps and Inter-Generational Equity: evaluating the Nigerian Oil Spill Monitor.. Public Money and Management
- Sadler, S. & Denedo, M. (2016). Social Audit Consolidation Report SNV Ghana. Ghana, SNV Procurement Governance for Home Grown School Feeding.