How to Apply
How to apply to the Global DBA
- A Masters degree in a discipline related to business and management from a recognised university or other institution of higher education; or equivalent qualifications or experience;
- A minimum of five years’ business and management experience at an appropriate level.
- For applicants whose first language is not English, evidence of competence in written and spoken English, normally by achieving an IELTS score of 7.0 or above (with no element below 6.5), or 102 or above in TOEFL IBT (with no element below 25); or equivalent qualifications or experience.
- An interview will be conducted with each applicant prior to an offer being recommended by the Global DBA degree programme directors (DPDs). Students’ analytical and intellectual capabilities will be assessed, and their critical analytical skills along with their motivations to commit to academic studies.
- You will be required to submit a research proposal of between 1,500-3,000 words as part of the selection process. Guidance on preparing a research proposal (and the possibility to work with the DPDs as per the contacts page).
- An interview will be conducted with each applicant prior to an offer being recommended. Students’ analytical and intellectual capabilities will be assessed, and their critical analytical skills along with their motivations to commit to academic studies.
Making an application
It is important that your general research interests match those of at least one member of our academic staff. For information on the range of expertise and experience of our academic faculty and details of their research interests view
Successful application is based on your ability to meet the entry requirements, your research proposal and the School's capacity to provide relevant supervision for your research.
Our admissions process follows three stages:
Please ensure that:
- you meet our entry requirements (above)
- you can meet the financial requirements of the programme
- you have your research proposal ready.
Applications should be made using the on-line application form. You will be asked for the following information:
- academic qualifications and career to date
- an outline of your research interests
- the names and addresses of two referees, one of which must be academic
- any specific support needs you may have (see Disability Support)
- your chosen College. Find out more about the College system and the Durham colleges.
The following documents should also be submitted online as part of your application. Without these documents your application cannot be processed:
- Research proposal of between 1,500– and 3,000 words. Please submit your proposal within the section of the online application entitled research proposal. However, if your research proposal contains tables or graphics, please upload your document via the section Supporting Documents under Scholarships/Other. Advice on writing a research proposal.
- Copies of certificates of degrees awarded (up to 3 may be uploaded)
- Copies of transcripts of modules studied (up to 3 may be uploaded)
- Evidence of proficiency in English (where this is not your first language)
- Two references, one of which must be academic. (Reference letters must be emailed directly to us by your referees using the downloadable reference form.)
- Your Curriculum Vitae.
Only files of type .doc, .docx, .gif, .jpg, .pdf, .png, .rtf are permitted to be uploaded.
The maximum file size is 5MB.
If you have any problems attaching your supporting documents to your online application, you may email them to us.
We will process your application on the basis of all the information provided and will normally let you know our decision within three weeks. We can also give you guidance throughout the process including help developing a proposal (see the contact us page). In certain circumstances we may need to request further information.
The University of Durham and emlyon business school will have joint control of all recruitment decisions. The final decision as to whether a student is accepted on to the programme will be made jointly between emlyon business school and the University of Durham.
If you would like to speak to someone before making your application, please contact:
Doctoral Office, Durham University Business School
Durham University, Mill Hill Lane
Durham DH1 3LB, UK
Tel: +44 (0)191 334 5398
Global DBA, emlyon Business School
Dimitris G. Assimakopoulos, President of European Doctoral Association in Management & Business Administrationedamba.eu
23, avenue Guy de Collongue,
CS40203 69134 Ecully Cedex, France
Tel: +33 6 22 96 20 02