Prof Keith Lindsey
For my first degree I read Botany at St. Catherine's College Oxford, followed by a PhD from Edinburgh University. I carried out post-doc work in Edinburgh and then Rothamsted, before taking up a position as leader of the Plant Molecular Genetics Group at the Leicester Biocentre, and a lectureship at Leicester University (1989). I moved to a Chair in Durham in 1996.
Our research programme is focused on the developmental biology of plants, and in particular on molecular control mechanisms in embryogenesis and root development. We make use of a range of techniques in functional genomics, and exploit the many advantages of Arabidopsis thaliana as a model experimental organism. We developed promoter trap insertional mutagenesis in a forward genetics approach to identify genes required for correct embryogenesis and root development, and also use reverse genetics techniques (RNAi, identification of gene knockouts) to characterize the functions of genes identified by cDNA cloning. More recently, we developed laser-capture microdissection in combination with expression profiling to identify transcription factors and signalling pathway components expressed in subdomains of developing embryos, and in roots. A current feature of our work is the development of predictive mathematical models to describe gene-hormone signalling network interactions, with Junli Liu and with Michael Goldstein and Ian Vernon in the Department of Mathematical sciences. An integrating theme is that of polarity - in the establishment of the apical-basal axis of the embryo and of the root axis. We also have a number of other collaborative projects, both with other academic laboratories and with industry, which build upon expertise and materials developed in our basic science programmes. These include the development of novel resistance mechanisms to plant-parasitic nematodes, in collaboration with several European laboratories; projects on cotton with Prof. Xianlong Zhang at Huazhong Agricultural University, China; and the development of a spin-out company, Creative Gene Technology Ltd., a collaborative venture with Prof. Toni Slabas.
I am an Editor of the journal New Phytologist and Chair of the Board of Trustees for the New Phytologist Trust. I am also a Co-Editor of the Journal of Integrative Plant Biology and Associate Editor of Plant Signaling and Behavior (see web sites for more information). I was until recently a member BBSRC Council, the body that determines policy, priorities and strategy for BBSRC; Chair of BBSRC Appointments Board; and a member of the Defra Advisory Committee on Releases to the Environment (ACRE), which advises Government Ministers on GM and related issues. I am former President and Chair of Council of the Society for Experimental Biology. Some of my publications are listed below.
- Chapman, N., Miller, A.J., Lindsey, K. & Whalley, R. (2012). Roots, water, and nutrient acquisition: let’s get physical. Trends in Plant Science 16: 701-710.
- Osbourn A.E., O'Maille, P.E., Rosser, S.J. & Lindsey, K. (2012). Synthetic Biology. New Phytologist 196: 671-677.
- Friml, J., Benfey, P., Benkova, E., Bennett, M., Berleth, T., Geldner, N., Grebe, M., Heisler, M., Hejato, J., Juergens, G., Laux, T., Lindsey, K., Lukowitz, W., Luschnig, C., Offringa, R., Scheres, B., Swarup, R., Torres-Ruiz, R., Weijers, D. & Zazimalova, E. (2006). Apical-basal polarity - why plant cells don't stand on their heads. Trends in Plant Science 11: 12-14.
- Lindsey, K., Topping, J.F. & Pullen, M. (2003). Importance of plant sterols in pattern formation and hormone signalling. Trends in Plant Science 8: 521-525.
- Casson, S.A. & Lindsey, K. (2003). Tansley Review: Genes and signalling in root development. New Phytologist 158: 11-38.
- Lindsey, K., Casson, S. & Chilley, P. (2002). Peptides: new signalling molecules in plants. Trends in Plant Science 7: 78-83.
- Topping, J.F. & Lindsey, K. (1995). Insertional mutagenesis and promoter trapping in plants for the isolation of genes and the study of development. Transgenic Research 4: 291-305.
- Lindsey, K. & Topping, J.F. (1993). Embryogenesis: a question of pattern. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 359-374.
- K. Lindsey & M.G.K. Jones (1989). Plant Biotechnology in Agriculture. Milton Keynes: Open University Press.
- (2004). Polarity in Plants. Oxford: Blackwell.
- (1998). Transgenic Plant Research. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic.
- (1991). Plant Tissue Culture Manual: Fundamentals and Applications. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic.
- Fonseka, D.L.C.K., Yang, X., Mudge, A., Topping, J.F. & Lindsey, K. (2013). Embryogenesis in Arabidopsis: Signalling, Genes and the Control of Identity. In Seed Genomics. Becraft, P.W. Wiley-Blackwell. 21-42.
- Lindsey, K., Mehdi, S., Casson, S.A., Mudge, A.J., Topping, J.F. & Liu, J. (2013). POLARIS. In The Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides, 2nd Edition. Kastin, A.J. Academic Press. 40-45.
- Mehdi, S., Mudge, A., Rowe, J., Liu, J., Topping, J.F. & Lindsey, K. (2013). The POLARIS Peptide: Role in Hormone Signalling and Root Growth. In Annual Plant Reviews: Peptide Signals in Plants. Huffaker, A. & Pearce, G. Wiley-Blackwell. in press.
- Casson, S.A., Spencer, M.W.B. & Lindsey, K. (2007). Laser-capture microdissection to study global transcriptional changes during plant embryogenesis. In Methods in Molecular Biology: Plant Embryogenesis Methods and Protocols. Suarez, M.F. & Bozhkov, P. New Jersey: Harwood. 427: 111-120.
- Lindsey, K., Casson, S.A. & Chilley, P.M. (2006). The POLARIS peptide. In The Handbook Of Biologically Active Peptides. Kastin, A.J. Academic Press. 23-27.
- Lindsey, K. & Wei, W. (2000). Arabidopsis tissue culture, transformation and transient gene expression. In Arabidopsis: A Practical Approach. Wilson, Z. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 123-141.
- Gheysen, G., Abad, P., Bleve, T., Blok, V., Fenoll, C., Gatehouse, J., Grundler, F., Lindsey, K., Ohl, S., Sagen, K., Shields, R. & Helder, H. (2000). Concerted efforts to develop handles for plant parasitic nematode control. In Phytosphere ’99 – Highlights in European Biotechnology. Developments in Plant Genetics and Breeding 6. de Vries, G.E. & Metzlaff, K. Elsevier. 159-167.
Journal papers: academic
- Liu, Junli , Lindsey, Keith & Hussey, Patrick J. (2014). Elucidating the regulation of complex signalling systems in plant cells. Biochemical Society Transactions 42(1): 219-223.
- Liu, J., Rowe, J. & Lindsey, K. (2014). Hormonal crosstalk for root development: a combined experimental and modeling perspective. Frontiers in Plant Sciences 5: 116.
- Liu, N., Tu, L., Tang, W., Gao, W., Lindsey, K. & Zhang, X. (2014). Small RNA and degradome profiling reveals a role for miRNAs and their targets in the developing fibers of Gossypium barbadense. The Plant Journal 80(2): 331-344.
- Tang, W., Tu, L., Yang, X., Tan, J., Deng, F., Hao, J. Guo, K., Lindsey, K. & Zhang, X. (2014). The calcium sensor GhCaM7 promotes cotton fiber elongation by modulating reactive oxygen species (ROS) production. New Phytologist 202(2): 509-520.
- Portillo, M., Cabrera, J., Lindsey, K., Topping, J., Andrés, M.F., Emiliozzi, M., Oliveros, J.C., García-Casado, G., Solano, R., Koltai, H., Resnick, N., Fenoll, C. & Escobar, C. (2013). Distinct and conserved transcriptomic changes during nematode-induced giant cell development in tomato compared with Arabidopsis: a functional role for gene repression. New Phytologist 197(4): 1276-1290.
- Liu, J.L., Mehdi, S., Topping, J., Friml, J. & Lindsey, K. (2013). Interaction of PLS and PIN and hormonal crosstalk in Arabidopsis root development. Frontiers in Plant Science: Frontiers in Plant Cell Biology 4: 75.
- Yang, X., Wang, L., Yuan, D., Lindsey, K. & Zhang, X. (2013). Small RNA and degradome sequencing reveal complex miRNA regulation during cotton somatic embryogenesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 64(6): 1521-1536.
- Ji, H., Kyndt, T., Denil, S., Lindsey, K., Topping, J., Nahar, K., Haegeman, A., Van Criekinge, W., Trooskens, G., De Meyer, T. & Gheysen, G. (2013). Transcriptional analysis through RNA sequencing of giant cells induced by Meloidogyne graminicola in rice roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 64(13): 3885-3898.
- Zhang, R., Xia, X., Lindsey, K. & Ferreira da Rocha, P.S.C (2012). Functional complementation of the dwf4-102 mutant of Arabidopsis by overexpression of CYP724A1. Journal of Plant Physiology 169: 421-428.
- Chapman, N., Whalley, W.R., Lindsey, K. & Miller, A.J. (2011). Water supply and not nitrate concentration determines primary root growth in Arabidopsis. Plant, Cell and Environment 34: 1630-1638.
- K Lindsey & the International Arabidopsis Informatics Consortium (2010). An international bioinformatics infrastructure to underpin the Arabidopsis community. The Plant Cell 22: 2530-2536.
- Pullen, M., Clark, N., Zarinkamar, F., Topping, J. & Lindsey, K. (2010). Analysis of vascular development in the hydra sterol biosynthetic mutants of Arabidopsis. PLoS ONE 5(8): e12227.
- Barcala, M., Garcia, A., Cabrera, J., Casson, S., Lindsey, K., Favery, B., García-Casado, G., Solano, R., Fenoll, C. & Escobar, C. (2010). Early transcriptomic events in microdissected Arabidopsis nematode-induced giant cells. The Plant Journal 61(4): 698-712.
- Liu, J., Mehdi, S., Topping, J., Tarkowski, P. & Lindsey, K. (2010). Modelling and experimental analysis of hormonal crosstalk in Arabidopsis. Molecular Systems Biology 6: 373.
- Chivasa, S., Simon, W.J., Murphy, A.M., Lindsey, K., Carr, J. & Slabas, A.R. (2010). The effects of extracellular adenosine 5'-triphosphate on the tobacco proteome. Proteomics 10: 235-244.
- Portillo, M., Lindsey, K., Casson, S.A., Fenoll, C. & Escobar, C. (2009). A rapid protocol for laser-capture microdissection of giant cells and root vascular cells from tomato (Solanum lycopersicum). Molecular Plant Pathology 10: 523-535.
- Chivasa, S., Murphy, A., Hamilton, J., Lindsey, K., Carr, J. & Slabas, A.R. (2009). Extracellular ATP is a regulator of pathogen defence in plants. The Plant Journal 60(3): 436-448.
- Chivasa, S., Tome, D.F.A., Murphy, A.M., Hamilton, J.M., Lindsey, K., Carr, J.P. & Slabas, A.R. (2009). Extracellular ATP: a modulator of cell death and pathogen defense in plants. Plant Signaling and Behavior 4: 1078-1080.
- Casson, S.A., Topping, J.F. & Lindsey, K. (2009). MERISTEM-DEFECTIVE, an RS domain protein, is required for the correct meristem patterning and function in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 57(5): 857-869.
- Spencer, M.W.B., Casson, S.A. & Lindsey, K. (2007). Transcriptional profiling of the Arabidopsis embryo. Plant Physiology 143: 924-940.
- Vaughan, S.P. James, D.J., Lindsey, K. & Massiah, A.J. (2006). Characterization of FaRB7, a near root-specific gene from strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duch.) and promoter activity analysis in homologous and heterologous hosts. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 3901-3910.
- Chivasa, S., Hamilton, J.M. , Pringle, R.S. Ndimba, B.K. Simon, J.W., Lindsey, K. & Slabas, A.R. (2006). Proteomic analysis of differentially expressed proteins in fungal elicitor-treated Arabidopsis cell cultures. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1553-1562.
- Chilley, P.M., Casson, S.A. , Tarkowski, P., Wang, K.L.-C., Hawkins, N., Hussey, P.J. , Beale, M., Ecker, J.R. Sandberg, G.K. & Lindsey, K. (2006). The POLARIS peptide of Arabidopsis regulates auxin transport and root growth via effects on ethylene signaling. Plant Cell 18(11): 3058-3072.
- Casson, S.A. & Lindsey, K. (2006). The turnip mutant of Arabidopsis reveals that LEC1 expression mediates the effects of auxin and sugars to promote embryonic cell identity. Plant Physiology 142: 526-541.
- Chivasa, S., Ndimba, B.K., Simon, W., Lindsey, K. & Slabas, A.R. (2005). Extracellular ATP defines a novel endogenous extracellular metabolite regulating plant cell viability. The Plant Cell 17: 3019-3034.
- Casson, S., Spencer, M., Walker, K. & Lindsey, K. (2005). Laser capture microdissection for the analysis of gene expression during embryogenesis of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 42(1): 111-123.
- Dean, G., Casson, S.A. & Lindsey, K. (2004). KNAT6 gene of Arabidopsis is expressed in roots and is required for correct lateral root formation. Plant Molecular Biology 54: 71-84.
- Souter, M., Pullen, M.L., Topping, J.F., Zhang, X. & Lindsey, K. (2004). Rescue of defective auxin-mediated gene expression and root meristem function by inhibition of ethylene sugnalling in sterol biosynthesis mutants of Arabidopsis. Planta 219: 773-783.
- Farrar, K., Evans, I.M., Topping, J.F., Souter, M.A., Nielsen, J.E. & Lindsey, K. (2003). EXORDIUM - a gene expressed in proliferating cells and with a role in meristem function, identified by promoter trapping in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 61-73.
- Souter, M., Topping, J.F., Pullen, M., Friml, J., Palme, K., Hackett, R., Grierson, D. & Lindsey, K. (2002). hydra mutants of Arabidopsis are defective in sterol profiles and auxin and ethylene signaling. Plant Cell 14(5): 1017-1031.
- Casson, S.A., Chilley, P., Topping, J.F., Evans, I.M., Souter, M. & Lindsey, K. (2002). The POLARIS gene of Arabidopsis encodes a predicted peptide required for correct root growth and leaf vascular patterning. Plant Cell 14(8): 1705-1721.
- Wei, W., Twell, D. & Lindsey, K. (1997). A novel nucleic acid helicase gene identified by promoter trapping in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 11: 1307-1314.
- Topping, J.F., May, V.J., Muskett, P.R. & Lindsey K. (1997). Mutations in the HYDRA1 gene of Arabidopsis perturb cell shape and disrupt embryonic and seedling morphogenesis. Development 124: 4415-4424.
- Topping, J.F. & Lindsey K. (1997). Promoter trap markers differentiate structural and positional components of polar development in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 9: 1713-1725.
- Barthels, N., van der Lee, F., Klap, J., Goddijn, O.J.M. Karimi, M., Puzio, P., Grundler, F.M.W. Ohl, S.A., Lindsey, K., Robertson, L., Robertson, W.M. Van Montagu, M., Gheysen, G. & Sijmons, P. (1997). Regulatory sequences of Arabidopsis drive reporter gene expression in nematode feeding structures. The Plant Cell 9: 2119-2134.
- Fuerst, R.A.U.A., Soni, R., Murray, J.A.H. & Lindsey, K. (1996). Modulation of cyclin transcript levels in cultured cells of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 112: 1023-1033.
- Topping, J.F., Agyeman, F., Henricot, B. & Lindsey, K. (1994). Identification of molecular markers of embryogenesis in Arabidopsis thaliana by promoter trapping. The Plant Journal 57: 895-903.
- Goddijn, O.J.M., Lindsey, K., van der Lee, F.M., Klap, J.C. & Sijmons, P. (1993). Differential gene expression in nematode-induced feeding structures of transgenic plants harbouring promoter-gusA fusion constructs. The Plant Journal 4: 863-873.
- Lindsey, K., Wei, W., Clarke, M.C., McArdle, H.F., Rooke, L.M. & Topping, J.F. (1993). Tagging genomic sequences that direct transgene expression by activation of a promoter trap in plants. Transgenic Research 2: 33-47.
- Topping, J.F., Wei, W. & Lindsey, K. (1991). Functional tagging of regulatory elements in the plant genome. Development 112: 1109-1119.