Publication details for Dr Janet MontgomeryMelton, Nigel, Montgomery, Janet, Knüsel, Christopher J., Batt, Cathy, Needham, Stuart, Pearson, Mike Parker, Sheridan, Alison, Heron, Carl, Horsley, Tim, Schmidt, Armin, Evans, Adrian, Carter, Elizabeth, Edwards, Howell, Hargreaves, Michael, Janaway, Rob, Lynnerup, Niels, Northover, Peter, O'Connor, Sonia, Ogden, Alan, Taylor, Timothy, Wastling, Vaughan & Wilson, Andrew (2010). Gristhorpe Man: an Early Bronze Age log-coffin burial scientifically defined. Antiquity 84(325): 796-815.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003-598X, 1745-1744
- DOI: 10.1017/S0003598X00100237
- Keywords: Gristhorpe, Early Bronze Age, Log-coffin burials, Élite status, Radiocarbon dating, Stable isotope, Metallurgy.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A log-coffin excavated in the early nineteenth
century proved to be well enough preserved
in the early twenty-first century for the full
armoury of modern scientific investigation to
give its occupants and contents new identity,
new origins and a new date. In many ways
the interpretation is much the same as before:
a local big man buried looking out to sea.
Modern analytical techniques can create a
person more real, more human and more
securely anchored in history. This research
team shows how.