Publication details for Dr Janet MontgomeryMuldner, G., Montgomery, J., Cook, G., Ellam, R., Gledhill, A. & Lowe, C. (2009). Isotopes and individuals: diet and mobility among the medieval Bishops of Whithorn. Antiquity 83(322): 1119-1133.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003 598X
- DOI: 10.1017/S0003598X00099403
- Keywords: Britain, Medieval, Bishops, Clergy, Stable isotopes, Diet, Mobility, Social rank, Strontium Isotopes, Oxygen Isotopes, British-isles, Fresh-waters, Colonization, England, Carbon, UK.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Stable isotopes get personal in this analysis of burials at a medieval cathedral. Compared with the local meat-eating rank and file, those people identified as bishops consumed significantly more fish and were incomers from the east. These results, while not so surprising historically, lend much increased confidence that isotope analysis can successfully read the status and mobility of individuals in a cemetery.