Publication details for Professor Janet MontgomeryEvans, J.A., Montgomery, J., Wildman, G. & Boulton, N. (2010). Spatial variations in biosphere 87Sr/86Sr in Britain. Journal Of The Geological Society 167(1): 1-4.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0016-7649, 2041-479X
- DOI: 10.1144/0016-76492009-090
- Keywords: Strontium isotopes, Tracers, Ratios, Stratigraphy, Waters, Sr/Ca, Bones, Ones, Soil.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Strontium isotopes are a powerful tool for investigating the geographical origins of people and animals but assignment of provenance requires reference maps and databases. This paper presents a map of strontium isotope variations across Britain for use in archaeological and other studies, and is produced by direct measurement of strontium isotope compositions of biosphere components, predominantly plants. The map characterizes the biosphere signature of specific lithologies: a technique that is applicable worldwide. Marine-derived strontium, from both rainwater and coastal sea-splash and spray, is an important contribution to the British biosphere, particularly on the western seaboard, which is subject to high rainfall and prevailing westerly winds.