Publication details for Dr Janet MontgomeryKnusel, C.J., Batt, C.M., Cook, G., Montgomery, J., Muldner, G., Ogden, A.R., Palmer, C., Stern, B., Todd, J. & Wilson, A.S. (2010). The Identity of the St Bees Lady, Cumbria: An Osteobiographical Approach. Medieval Archaeology 54(1): 271-311.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0076-6097
- DOI: 10.1179/174581710X12790370815931
- Keywords: Auricular surface, Isotope evidence, Revised method, Skeletal age, Hyoid bone, Strontium, Fracture, England, Diet, Strangulation.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Using an Osteobiographical approach, this contribution considers the identity of the woman found alongside the St Bees Man, one of the best-preserved archaeological bodies ever discovered. Osteological, isotopic and radiocarbon analyses, combined with the archaeological context of the burial and documented social history, provide the basis for the identification of a late 14th-century heiress whose activities were at the heart of medieval northern English geopolitics.