Publication details for Dr David PettsPetts, D. (2002). The Reuse of Prehistoric Standing Stones in Western Britain? A Critical Consideration of an Aspect of Early Medieval Monument Reuse. Oxford Journal of Archaeology 21(2): 195-209.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0262-5253, 1468-0092
- DOI: 10.1111/1468-0092.00157
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The superficial similarity in form of prehistoric standing stones and early medieval western British inscribed stones has sometimes led to the suggestion that the medieval stones were reusing the earlier monuments. In this paper this suggestion is critically assessed. It shows that the medieval stones are different in size from the prehistoric stones, and placed in different contexts. This lack of reuse of prehistoric standing stones is considered in the context of other examples of monument reuse known from western Britain.