Publication details for Professor Robin SkeatesSkeates, Robin (2011). Making sense of world art: an archaeological perspective. World Art 1(1): 143-149.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2150-0894, 2150-0908
- DOI: 10.1080/21500894.2011.534595
- Keywords: Anthropology of the senses, Sensual culture, World art, Archaeology, Prehistoric Malta.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This article explores the methods through which the anthropology of the senses or sensual culture studies might be extended to world art studies. Reflexivity, inventory, experimentation, thick description and creative writing are all recommended. The potential contribution of these methods is illustrated with reference to recent archaelogical research on the sensual cultures of prehistoric Malta.