Publication details for Prof Peter Rowley-ConwyRowley-Conwy, P., Halstead, P. & Collins, P. (2002). Derivation and application of a Food Utility Index (FUI) for European wild boar (Sus scrofa L.). Environmental Archaeology 7: 77-87.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1461-4103, 1749-6314
- Keywords: Food utility index, Fui, Boar, Skeletal element frequency, Butchery, Ringkloster
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A Food Utility Index (FUI) is presented for European wild boar (Sus scrofa L.), derived from the experimental butchery of two individuals of differing ages. The results differ from FUIs produced for other species because of the different conformation of the species. Application of the FUI to the wild boar assemblage from the Mesolithic site of Ringkloster (Denmark) allows increased understanding of field butchery, transport and processing of the animals.