Publication details for Prof Paul PettittWhite, M.J. & Pettitt, P.B. (2009). The demonstration of human antiquity: three rediscovered illustrations from the 1825 and 1846 excavations in Kent's Cavern (Torquay, England). Antiquity 83(321): 758-768.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003-598X, 1745-1744
- DOI: 10.1017/S0003598X00098975
- Keywords: Britain, Kent's Cavern, Palaeolithic, early man.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The authors disentangle the fascinating tale of the investigations in Kent's Cavern, iconic site for the acceptance of early man. The drawings they have discovered in the archives of the Geological Society are the only ones known from the earliest excavations and they are published here for the first time. As this paper shows, it takes intellectual courage to be an archaeologist. Whatever the enormity of his challenge to contemporary religion, I like to think that MacEnery would have been fairly supported by Antiquity's reviewing system. But perhaps our doctrinal challenges are lesser ones.…