Advanced Research Computing
Digital information, computational and data-intensive methods have become vital to cutting-edge research across the sciences, arts, humanities and social sciences. Research Computing is the innovative use of computer hardware and software to enhance research. At Durham University it underpins our scientific methods alongside theoretical and experimental approaches; providing insight where experiments may be too uncertain (biology/medicine), expensive (oil & gas), or impossible (extreme conditions).
Research computing includes High-Performance Computing (HPC) but is not limited to it, for example, it involves the storage and manipulation of large datasets. Contemporary applications are satellite images, the data pipelines from laboratory equipment such as sequencers and microscopes; visualisations of a virtual universe, the reconstruction of destroyed buildings, and Agent-Based Models of social interaction in large populations. As ARC we also support interrogation of datasets from broader society, environment and culture including Social Media and the Digital Tech Community.
The ARC Directorate provides researchers the link to computational expertise and resources and the catalyst for new research directions across all disciplines whether within the University or to external partners and organisations.
ARC enables Durham University to leverage its World Class computational and data-intensive expertise across research activities.
- Professor Louise Bracken of @durham_uni presenting the Waterhub - Innovative technology for the Water Industry at… https://t.co/AFyyv85auv
Tweeted 9 hours ago
- RT @edkeene: The excellent Fady Medhat from @comp_sci_durham giving a presentation on automated knowledge discovery using Topic Modelling a…
Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @thatdrmaz: @edkeene @comp_sci_durham And there’s an illustrative brain ???? must be good.
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- RT @intogral: @intogral at the #GDSP2018 #DataScience conference in #London today https://t.co/5dT65o8SZp
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- RT @CreativeFuseNE: How can our creativity help us achieve our business goals?
Join us for a creative Away Day - a fully-funded, informat…
Tweeted on Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:31:47 +0000
- RT @thatdrmaz: Women musicians in the NE. https://t.co/GH5nKY6bnO
Tweeted on Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:47:23 +0000
Department of Computer Science