Publication details for Prof Robert H. LaytonLayton, R.H. (2008). What can ethnography tell us about human social evolution? In Early human kinship: from sex to social reproduction. Allen, N., Callan, H., Dunbar, R. & James, W. Malden, MA (USA): Blackwell. 113-127.
- Publication type: Chapter in book
- ISSN/ISBN: 9781405179010 (print), 9781444302714 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1002/9781444302714.ch6
- Keywords: human social evolution
- Further publication details on publisher web site
Author(s) from Durham
critically reviews methods for reconstructing past behaviour from ethnography, compares chimpanzee and hunter-gatherer social behaviour, and rejects some hypotheses proposed by other authors in the same volume.