Publication details for Professor Gina PorterPorter, Gina, Lyon, Fergus & Potts, Deborah (2007). Market institutions and urban food supply in West and Southern Africa: a review. Progress in Development Studies 7(2): 115-134.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1464-9934, 1477-027X
- DOI: 10.1177/146499340600700203
- Keywords: Markets, Institutions, Food, Traders, Africa, Urbanization.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
As the urban share of Africa's population increases, the importance of understanding how food supply is shaped by market institutions has grown. However, this topic has received little attention from policy makers and researchers despite the implications of market institutions and regulatory systems for livelihoods and poverty. This paper reviews the existing literature on market intermediaries, access to selling spaces, finance for traders and sources of information on prices and supplies. The gaps in research are identified and a set of key research issues in this crucial, yet under-researched, area are articulated.