Social Anthropology Members
Dr Maurice Said
I received my BA and MA degrees in Anthropology from the University of Malta. My Masters research involved 6months of fieldwork in southern Sri Lanka looking at the effects of aid and NGO development, and their projects, on communities of fishermen, dealing particularly with localised notions of vulnerability and development.
My current PhD fieldwork looks at the strategies coastal communities in southern Sri Lanka have developed to deal with the transformations brought about by post-tsunami development. In particular I explore the long term effects of post-disaster rehabilitation in changing social relationships and social structures, and the resultant reorganisation of space. The project is thus intended to be a discourse of localised strategies for coping with crises.
- Said,M (2014). Milk and Peace, Drought and War: Somali Culture, Society and Politics. By Markus Hoehne and Virginia Luling (eds). International Sociology Reviews 29(2): 143-145.
- Said, M (2013). From recipients to donors: emerging powers and the changing development landscape. By Emma Mawdsley. Progress in Development Studies 13(3): 247-248.
- Said, M (2013), Social identity and self-representation in colonial and post-colonial Sri Lanka, IUAES 2013. Manchester, England, Manchester.
- Said, M (2013), Suicide and Agency: transforming social relations, Suicide in Sri Lanka: Past, Present, and Future Transformations. Colombo, Sri Lanka, Colombo.
- Said, M (2012), Passing the Buck: Suicide, Shame and the Shifting of Status in southern Sri Lanka¬, ASA 12: Arts and aesthetics in a globalising world. Delhi, India, Delhi.
- Said, M (2012), Redefining Space through Aid: An Analysis of Development as a Tool for Elite Mobility in southern Sri Lanka, ECSAS2012: 22nd European conference on South Asian studies. Lisbon, Portugal, Lisbon.
- Said, M (2011), Migration and Integration: Changing Perceptions of Europe from Without to Within, International colloquium: Europe seen from here and elsewhere. Rouen, France, Rouen.
- Said, Maurice (2016). Humour and Lying: male sociality among coastal Sinhalese. Etnofoor 28(1): 95-110.
- Said, M. (2014). Suicide and shame in southern Sri Lanka: Networks of dependency. South Asia Research 34(1): 19-30.
- Said, M. (2013), Networks of dependency: suicide and shame in southern Sri Lanka, WIPSS (work in progress in the social sciences). University of Malta.
- Said, M (2013), Transforming place through elite appropriation of aid in post-tsunami southern Sri Lanka, MA course in Humanitarian action. University of Malta.
- Said, M (2013), Who’s Aid?: discourses of giving and receiving in a post-disaster scenario, MA course in Humanitarian Action. University of Malta.