Research Student List
Dr Megan Wainwright, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
I am a medical anthropologist from Québec, Canada with a strong interest in the anthropology of chronic illness, qualitative research methods and training, global health diplomacy, and audio/visual methods and outputs. I have been an Honorary Research Fellow in the Department of Anthropology since July 2013. I am currently a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Cape Town in the Division of Social and Behavioural Sciences in the School of Public Health and Family Medicine. I am currently working a project funded by the National Research Foundation of South Africa to study the experiential and macro-political realities of long-term oxygen therapy in South Africa and Uruguay. In 2012/2013 I carried-out the preliminary work for the "Life of Breath" Wellcome Trust grant as a postdoc in the Centre for Medical Humanities. I continue to be a international collaborator on this exciting project. I also work closely with Dr. Andrew Russell on collaborative event ethnography of global health diplomacy in action at the COPs of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.
I completed my PhD in Medical Anthropology at Durham University in 2013. My thesis, 'An ethnographic study of living-with and caring-for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Uruguay', was examined by Professor Bob Simpson (Durham University) and Regents' Professor and Professor of Anthropology, Family Medicine and Public Health, Mark Nichter (University of Arizona).
Department of Anthropology
Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
- Applied Health Research Special Interest Group
- Wainwright, M (2016). Rebellion and Co-Morbidity. In The Routledge Handbook of Medical Anthropology. Manderson,L, Hardon, A & Cartwright, E Routledge.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Wainwright, M. (2012). Perspectivas y Investigaciones Antropologicas en Salud y Enfermedad. Seminario de Extension, Casa de la Universidad Tacuarembo, Tacuarembo, Anuario de Antropologia Social y Cultural en Uruguay.
- Arnaert, A. & Wainwright, M. (2008). Preliminary Results of a Home Telecare Project for Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Canadian Respiratory Conference: A Breath of Fresh Air:, Montreal, Canada, Candian Respiratory Journal.
Journal papers: academic
- Russell, A., Wainwright, M. & Tilson, M. (2016). Means and ENDS – e-cigarettes, the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, and global health diplomacy in action. Global Public Health
- Wainwright, M., Colvin, C.J., Swartz, A. & Leon, N. (2016). Self-management of medical abortion: A qualitative evidence synthesis. Reproductive Health Matters
- Russell, A.J., Wainwright, M. & Mamudu, H.M. (2015). A chilling example? Uruguay, Phillip Morris International, and WHO's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 29(2): 256-277.
- Wainwright, M., Russell, A. & Yiannakou, Y. (2011). Challenging the Biopsychosocial Model in a Chronic Constipation Clinic. Qualitative Health Research 21(12): 1643-1657.
- Allen, D., Wainwright, M. & Hutchinson, T. (2011). Non-compliance as illness management: Hemodialysis patients' descriptions of adversarial patient-clinician interactions. Social Science and Medicine 73: 129-134.
- Wainwright, M. & Russell, A. (2010). Using NVivo Audio-Coding: Practical, Sensorial and Epistemological Considerations. Social Research Update (60): 1-4.
- Arnaert, A., Seller, R. & Wainwright M. (2009). Homecare Nurses’ Attitudes to Palliative Care in a Rural Community of Western Quebec. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing 11(4).
- Arnaert, A. & Wainwright, M. (2009). Providing care and sharing expertise: reflections of nurse-specialists in palliative homecare. Palliative & Supportive Care 7(357-364).
- Arnaert, A. & Wainwright, M. (2008). Designing and Implementing a Home Telecare Service for Elderly Patients with COPD: Steps and Challenges. The Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics 3(2): 49-83.
- Allen, D., Wainwright, M., Hutchinson, T. & Mount, B. (2008). The wounding path to becoming healers: Medical students’ apprenticeship experiences. Medical Teacher 30(3): 260-65.
Other media: research equivalent
- Wainwright, M., Bingham, S., Sicwebu, N., Ndlani, L., Mocha, A., Mzuzwana, V. & Maqogi, M. (2016). Life in Town Two: A Photodocumentary - https://vimeo.com/174489626.
- Wainwright, M (2014). Podcast: EPOC al Aire: Historias de la Enfermedad Pulmonar Obstructiva Cronica [COPD on the Air: Stories of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease] - https://vimeo.com/91838964. 16 minutes.
- Allen, D., Hutchinson T. & Wainwright M. (2009). Living with Kidney Failure: A Three-Part Film. http://www.mcgill.ca/wholepersoncare/esrdqualityofliferesearch/3partfilm/
- Colvin, C., Wainwright, M., Noyes, J., Munthe-Kaas, H., Garside, R., Carlsen, B., Rashidian, A., Booth, A., Glenton,C., Bohren, M., Lewin, S. & Tuncalp, O. (2015). Confidence in the Evidence from Reviews of Qualitative research (CERQual): Development and Future Directions of a Novel Approach. Cochrane Methods (Suppl 1): 45-47.
- Wainwright, M. (2013). Faltar el aire. Enfermedad pulmonar obstructiva cronica en Uruguay. Anuario de Antropologia Social y Cultural en Uruguay 11: 275-278.
- Wainwright, M. & Macnaughton, J. (2013). Is a qualitative perspective missing from COPD guidelines?. The Lancet Respiratory Journal 1(6): 441-442.
- Wainwright, M. (2013). Breathing and Breathlessness: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in Uruguay. Durham University. PhD: 333.
- 2016: Brocher Foundation Workshop Grant (co-applicant)
- 2015: Brocher Foundation Workshop Grant (co-applicant)
- 2014: Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Research Foundation of South Africa
- 2012: Santander Mobility Grant, Durham University
- 2011: Santander Mobility Grant, Durham University
- 2010: Society of Latin American Studies Travel Grant
- 2009: An ethnographic study of chronic constipation patients' experiences of illness and healthcare relationships (£1500.00 from 3 Com Europe Ltd)
- 2009: Research and Development Springboard Grant, County Durham and Darlington Foundation Trust for MSc field work
- 2009: Van Mildert College Trust Research Scholarship for 3 year PhD
- 2008: Durham Academic Scholarship
- 2004: McConnell Award, McGill University Scholarship
- 2003: Julie Zachau Memorial Scholarship