We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Accommodation Office

International Students

Please also see the "Househunting Tips" tab.

While it would be ideal to see a property in person before you sign a contract for longer-term accommodation, that is not always feasible for international students.

It can be very difficult to get a real idea of what a property is like without seeing it in person. Most properties on online advertising sites have photographs of them to help you with this. Please contact us if you have any specific concerns.

Important points to consider:

  • Once you have signed a contract this is a legally binding document and as a result you will have to pay the rent for the full length of the contract.
  • If you are considering signing an agreement the Students' Union Advice and Help Service can check it for you by email.
  • Be wary of any person that contacts you and says they are a landlord. It is not a common occurance, but fraudsters have been know to operate in the private rented sector, presenting themselves as legitimate landlords and trying to get students to hand over money for deposits and rent on non existent properties. If you are in doubt contact the Accommodation Office.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them. They provide information and advice to international students on a range of issues and you may find their site a useful source of information for you.

Immigration Right to Rent Checks by Landlords: From 1 February 2016, landlords, homeowners, and Agents are required to ensure that someone has the right to rent in England before letting them a property. Please see the UK Government Guidance here and the University's Immigration Office FAQs here for more information.