Dr Luis Calmeiro
Luis joined the School of Applied Social Sciences in May 2011. He completed his Master degree in Sport Psychology at the Faculty of Human Movement (Lisbon, Portugal) studying the effects of an application of a cognitive-behavioural change program among adolescents targeted to increase out-of-school physical activity. He received his PhD from the Florida State University (USA) studying the fluctuations of emotional states during competition, and the mechanisms used by experts and non-experts to deal with such fluctuations.
Luis’s interests revolve around exercise and health psychology and sport psychology. Concerning exercise and health psychology, Luis’s research interests include theoretically-driven interventions to promote physical activity across the life span, adolescents’ health behaviours, and social physique anxiety. Concerning sport psychology, topics of interest include the interaction between cognitive and emotional processes to influence performance, motivational issues, appraisals and coping and expert performance. He is particularly interested in exploring methodologies that allow observing these processes in situations of high ecological validity, such as the use of talk-aloud procedures and other verbal report methods.
Luis is a Handball certified coach with 6 years of experience, and played competitively for 17 years, before moving on to the USA.
Luis is keen to work with post-graduates students in any of the topics broadly defined above and welcomes any enquiries for more specific topics.
Luis is the Portuguese representative in the PA focus group of the Health Bahaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC), a cross-European research project that focuses on health behaviours. He still belongs to the Portuguese research team with whom he collaborates frequently.
- Calmeiro, L. & Tenenbaum, G. (2009). An idiographic approach to the fluctuation of appraisals and coping during a trapshooting competition. Poster presentation at the 12th World Congress of the International Society of Sport Psychology, 17-21 June, Marrakech, Morocco.
- Calmeiro, L., Simoes, C. & Matos, G. (2009). Is it valid yet? The Social Physique Anxiety Scale for Portuguese adolescents. Paper presented at the Health Promotion Research Center Conference, 10-11 June, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland.
- Calmeiro, L. (2007). “The Dynamic Nature of the Emotion-cognition link in trapshooting performance.” Dissertation Award Lecture at the XXII Annual Congress of the Association of Applied Psychology (AASP), 24-27 Louisville, KY, USA.
- Calmeiro, L. & Tenenbaum, G. (2007). “Emotional and cognitive processes during trapshooting performance.” Paper presented at the 12th European Congress of Sport Psychology, 4-9 September, Halkidiki, Greece.
- Calmeiro, L. & Tenenbaum, G. (2007). “Sequences of cognitive processes in golf-putting: comparative analysis across skill level”. Oral presentation at the Xth European Congress in Psychology, 3-6 July, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Calmeiro, L. & Tenenbaum, G. (2005). “Thought processes during golf putting: A concurrent verbal protocol approach”. Paper presented at the 9th European Congress in Psychology, 3-8 July, Granada, Spain.
- Calmeiro, L., Stoll, S.K., & Beller, J. (2004). “The RSBH Value-judgment Inventory: Preliminary Analysis of the Portuguese Version”. Poster presented at the XIX Annual Congress of the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology (AAASP), 29 September- 3 October, Minneapolis, MN – USA.
- Burton, D., Glenn, S., Calmeiro, L., & Holliday, B. (2003). “Examining Relationships between Elite Female Soccer Players Self Talk Patterns and Key Competitive Cognitions”. Paper presented at the XVIII Annual Congress of the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology (AAASP), 30 October – 3 November, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- Calmeiro, L. (2003). “Brown Bag Seminars: Gaining Entry by Educating Coaches”. Paper presented at the XVIII Annual Congress of the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology (AAASP), 30 October – 3 November, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Burton, D., Calmeiro, L., Holliday, B. (2002). “Examining the Relationships Between Perfectionism and Motivational Orientation and Sport Confidence”. Paper presented at the XVII Annual Congress of the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology (AAASP), 30 October - 3 November, Tucson, AZ, USA.
- WHO (2009). A Snapshot of the health of Young people in Europe. A report prepared for the European Commission conference on Youth Health, Brussels, Belgium, 9-10 July 2009, WHO Regional Office for Europe. Contributor: Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour chapter.
- KIDSCREEN-child and -parent instrument Portuguese versions. (Copyright Kidscreen group, translation and adaptation of Matos, Gaspar & Calmeiro, 2004)
- Cognitive and emotional states in sport
- Appraisals and coping in sport
- Expert performance
- Performance enhancement interventions
- Verbal protocols
- Exercise adherence in general and special populations
- Social physique anxiety
- Adolescents’ health behaviours
- Fellow of the Higher Education Institute
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) 2007 Dissertation Award,
- Best poster presentation at the V Portuguese-Spanish Conference on Sport and Exercise Psychology, Higher Institute of Applied Psychology - ISPA, Lisbon, Portugal
- Foundation for the Science and the Technology Doctoral Scholarship, Portuguese Ministry of the Science and the Technology
Luis is responsible for “Developing Human Performance” (stage 1) “Exercise and Health Psychology” (stage 2) modules.
- Calmeiro, L. & Matos, M. (2005). Psicologia do Exercicio e da Saude. (Exercise and Health Psychology.). Lisboa: Visao & Contextos.
- Calmeiro, L. (2011). Competências de vida e estilos de vida activos. (Life skills and active lifestyles). In Competências sociais, gestão de conflitos e comunicão na escola. (Social skills, conflict management and communication in school). Matos, M. Lisboa: FMH.
- Calmeiro, L. (2005). Competências de vida e estilos de vida activos. (Life skills and active lifestyles). In Competências sociais, gestão de conflitos e comunicão na escola. (Social skills, conflict management and communication in school). Matos, M. Lisboa: FMH.
Journal papers: academic
- Domingues, A. P., Silva, A. M., Matos, M. G. & Calmeiro, L. (2011). Accuracy of self-reported measures of height and weight in children and adolescents. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychology 4: 41-51.
- Calmeiro, L. & Tenenbaum, G (2011). Concurrent Verbal Protocol Analysis in Sport: Illustration of Thought Processes during a Golf-Putting task. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology 5(3): 223-236.
- Calmeiro, L., Tenenbaum, G. & Eccles, D. (2010). Event-sequence analysis of appraisals and coping during trapshooting performance. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 22(4): 392-407.
- Tenenbaum, G., Hatfield, B. D., Eklund, R. C., Land, W. M., Calmeiro, L., Razon, S. & Schack, T. (2009). A conceptual framework for studying emotions–cognitions–performance linkage under conditions that vary in perceived pressure. Progress in Brain Research 174: 159-178.
- Matos, M., Calmeiro, L. & Fonseca, D. (2009). Effet de l’activité physique sur l’anxiété et la dépression / Effect of physical activity on anxiety and depression. La Presse Médicale 38(5): 734-739.
- Iannotti, R. J., Janssen, I., Haug, E., Kololo, H., Annaheim, B., Borraccino, A. & HBSC Physical Activity Focus Group (2009). Interrelationships of adolescent physical activity, screen-based sedentary behaviour, and social and psychological health. International Journal of Public Health 54(S2): 191.
- Simões, C., Batista-Foguet, J.M., Matos, M. & Calmeiro, L. (2008). Alcohol use and abuse in adolescence: Proposal of an alternative analysis. Child: Care, Health and Development 34(3): 291-301.
- Calmeiro, L. & Tenenbaum, G. (2007). Fluctuation of Cognitive-emotional States during Performance: An Idiographic Approach. Revista de Psicología del Deporte 16(1): 85-100.