Dr Eleni Sofianopoulou
(email at email@example.com)
Eleni joined the Evaluation, Research and Development Unit as a researcher in January 2011. She is currently working on projects related to cancer screening and cancer awareness in primary care. Eleni's research interests evolve around chronic disease epidemiology and the role of primary care in chronic diseases. Her PhD work focused on assessing respiratory prescribing in relation to air quality, in a primary health care setting.
Eleni has previously worked at the North East Public Health Observatory, Durham University, being responsible for primary health care related data as well as mental health services usage data. Prior to that, Eleni worked as Research Associate at the Institute for Health and Society, Newcastle University. Her role was to provide public health responses on industrial license applications to the Environment Agency and Local Authorities. The process was embedded on Integrated Pollution and Prevention Control (IPPC) European Directive.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2010: Invited speaker - Imperial College, National Heart and Lung Institute, Seminar on “Respiratory prescribing and air pollution', May 2010 :
- PhD Fellowship Award by Colt Foundation, UK:
Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, School of
- Qualitative Health Research Group
- Sofianopoulou, E., Rushton, S. & Pless-Mulloli, T. (2011), Association Between Air Pollution And Monthly Respiratory Prescribing In Primary Health Care, International Society for Environmental Epidemiology. Barcelona, Spain.
- Sofianopoulou, E. Rushton, S., Rubin, G. & Pless-Mulloli, T. (2011), Kernel analysis as a tool to define the boundaries of General Practice catchment areas, Society for Academic Primary Care. Bristol, UK.
- Sofianopoulou, E. Rushton, S. & Pless-Mulloli, T. (2011), Multilevel model with offset: A two stage approach for modelling respiratory prescribing, in Primary Health Care, The 8th International Amsterdam Multilevel Conference. Amsterdam, Holland..
- Sofianopoulou, E., Pless-Mulloli, T. & Rushton, S. (2009), Estimating a Traffic Index in General Practice service areas, GISRUK 2009. Durham, UK.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Sofianopoulou, E. Rushton, S. & Pless-Mulloli, T. (2009). Analysis of Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Short-Acting beta2 Agonists Prescribing. 21st Annual Conference of the International-Society-for-Environmental-Epidemiology, Dublin, Ireland, Epidemiology, Volume 20, S204.
- Sofianopoulou, E. Rushton, S. & Pless-Mulloli, T (2009). Estimating Traffic Exposure in Primary Care Service Areas. 21st Annual Conference of the International-Society-for-Environmental-Epidemiology, Dublin, Ireland, Epidemiology, Volume 20, S203.
- Sofianopoulou, E. Pless-mulloli, T. & Rushtont, S. (2006). Use of spatial autocorrelation to investigate clustering of health deprivation. ISEE/ISEA 2006 Conference, Paris, FRANCE Epidemiology, Volume 17, S95.
Journal papers: academic
- Pless-Mulloli, T., Poremba, M., Charlton, J., Schilling, B., Paepke, O. & Sofianopoulou, E. (2006). Dealing with industrial legacy in the context of current legislation on contaminated land: The UK Saltmeadows case study. Organohalogen Compounds 68: 870-873.
- Unsworth, L., Sofianopoulou, E. & Yung, Y. (2011). Child Health Report in the North East of England. North East Public Health Observatory.
- Glover, G. & Sofianopoulou, E. (2010). The Mental Health Minimum Dataset (MHMDS) 2006-07 and 2007-08. North East Public Health Observatory.
- Sofianopoulou, E. (2011). Spatio-temporal analysis: Respiratory Prescribing in Relation to Air Pollution and Deprivation. PhD.