Professor David Budgen, BSc PhD CEng
Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 41724
Chair of Software Engineering in the School of Engineering and Computing Sciences
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 41724
Room number: E367 (Higginson)
(email at email@example.com)
Indicators of Esteem
- 2010: Invited Keynote Presentation: ECOOP 2010: Presented an invited keynote talk on the theme "From Advocacy to Evidence: A Discipline in Transition" at ECOOP 2010 (European Conference on Object Oriented Programming), Maribor, Slovenia, June 2010.
- 2010: Invited Participant: SPSD Workshop: I was an invited participant at the workshop on "Studying Professional Software Design" (SPSD), sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and held at the University of California, Irvine, in February 2010
- 2006: Conference Keynote: I was a keynote speaker at the IEEE-sponsored 19th Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, Oahu, Hawaii, 2006.
- 2004: IEEE-CS/ACM Working Group: I represented the British Computer Society as a member of the IEEE-CS/ACM working group that developed the SE2004 curriculum guidelines for teaching undergraduate software engineering programmes. Published by IEEE Computer Society Press as "Software Engineering 2004: Curriculum Guidelines for Undergraduate Degree Programs in Software Engineering"
- 1997: EPSRC College: I have been a member of the EPSRC College since its inception in 1997, have reviewed extensively and have taken part in a number of award panels.
Department of Computer Science
- Innovative Computing
School of Engineering and Computing Sciences
- Innovative Computing Research Group
- 1: Brereton, Pearl., Kitchenham, Barbara A., Budgen, David., Turner, Mark. & Khalil, Mohamed. (2007). Lessons from applying the systematic literature review process within the software engineering domain. Journal of Systems & Software 80(4): 571-583.
- 2: Ratcliffe Martyn. & Budgen, David. (2005). The application of use cases in systems analysis and design specification. Information & software technology 47(9): 623-641.
- 3: Turner, Mark., Zhu, Fujun., Kotsiopoulos, Ioannis., Russell, Michelle., Budgen, David., Bennett, Keith., Brereton, Pearl., Keane, John., Layzell, Paul. & Rigby, Michael. (2004). Using web service technologies to create an information broker an experience report. 26th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2004), Edinburgh, Scotland, IEEE.
- 4: Budgen, David. & Thomson, Mitchell. (2003). CASE tool evaluation experiences from an empirical study. Journal of systems and software 67(2): 55-75.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Sjoberg, Dag, Dyba, Tore, Brereton, Pearl, Budgen, David, Host, Martin & Runeson, Per (2013). Trends in the quality of human-intensive software engineering experiments--a quasi-experiment. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering
- Barbara Kitchenham, Pearl Brereton & David Budgen (2010). The Educational Value of Mapping Studies of Software Engineering Literature. Proceedings of 32nd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2010) ACM Press.
- Charters, Stuart, Budgen, David, Turner, Mark, Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl & Linkman, Stephen (2009). Objectivity in Research: Challenges from the Evidence-Based Paradigm. 20th Australian Software Engineering Conference, ASWEC 2009, IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Budgen, David & Zhang, Cheng (2009). Preliminary reporting guidelines for experience papers. 13th International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE 2009), Durham, England, BCS-eWiC.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl, Turner, Mark, Niazi, Mahmood, Linkman, Stephen, Pretorius, Rialette & Budgen, David (2009). The Impact of Limited Search Procedures for Systematic Literature Reviews: A Participant-Observer Case Study. Third International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement, Florida, USA, IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Zhang, Cheng & Budgen, David (2013). A survey of experienced user perceptions about software design patterns. Information and Software Technology 55(5): 822.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Sjoberg, Dag, Dyba, Tore, Pfahl, Dietmar, Brereton, Pearl, Budgen, David, Host, Martin & Runeson, Per (2012). Evaluating the quality of software engineering experiments--three empirical studies. Information and Software Technology 54(8): 804-819.
- Zhang, Cheng & Budgen, David (2012). What Do We Know About the Effectiveness of Software Design Patterns?. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 38(5): 1213-1231
- Budgen, David., Burn, A. J., Brereton O. P., Kitchenham B. A. & Pretorius R. (2011). Empirical evidence about the UML: a systematic literature review. Software: Practice and Experience 41(4): 363-392.
- Budgen, David., Burn, Andy J. & Kitchenham, Barbara. (2011). Reporting computing projects through structured abstracts: a quasi-experiment. Empirical Software Engineering 16(2): 244-277.
- Kitchenham Barbara A., Budgen David & Brereton O. Pearl. (2011). Using mapping studies as the basis for further research -- A participant-observer case study. Information and Software Technology 53(4): 638-651.
- Mark Turner, Barbara Kitchenham, Pearl Brereton, Stuart Charters & David Budgen (2010). Does the Technology Acceptance Model predict Actual Use? A Systematic Literature Review. Information & Software Technology 52(5): 463-479.
- Kitchenham, Barbara A., Brereton, Pearl, Turner, Mark, Niazi, Mahmood K., Linkman, Stephen, Pretorius, Rialette & Budgen, David (2010). Refining the systematic literature review process--two participant-observer case studies. Empirical Software Engineering 15(6): 618-653.
- Barbara Kitchenham, Rialette Pretorius, David Budgen, O. Pearl Brereton, Mark Turner, Mahmood Niazi & Stephen Linkman (2010). Systematic Literature Reviews in Software Engineering -- A Tertiary Study. Information & Software Technology 52(8): 792-805.
- Budgen, David, Bailey, John, Turner, Mark, Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl & Charters, Stuart (2009). Cross-domain investigation of empirical practices. IET Software 3(5): 410-421.
- Budgen, David, Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl, Turner, Mark, Charters, Stuart & Linkman, Stephen (2009). Employing the Evidence-Based Paradigm for Technology-related Decision Making. Evidence & Policy 4(2): 149-169.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, O. Pearl, Budgen, David, Turner, Mark, Bailey, John & Linkman, Stephen (2009). Systematic Literature Reviews in Software Engineering: A Systematic Literature Review. Information & Software Technology 51(1): 7-15.
- Budgen, David, Kitchenham, Barbara A., Charters, Stuart, Turner, Mark, Brereton, Pearl & Linkman, Stephen (2008). Presenting software engineering results using structured abstracts: A randomised experiment. Empirical Software Engineering 13(4): 435-468.