Professor James Mason, DPhil, MSc, BSc (Hons)
James Mason is a Professor of Health Economics and joined the School for Health in October 2004. Although his interests are wide-ranging, particular areas of interest inlcude design of clinical trials and epidemological studies. James is Co-Director of the Research Design Service (RDS) North East supporting the development of the research portfolio in the region, and introduced Durham Clinical Trials Unit (DCTU) to support local clinical trails in 2009.
Indicators of Esteem
- Academic Prizes: Wellcome Trust ‘Value in People’ personal award. 2007-8
- National Institute for Health Research, HTA themed commissioning board (2012-present)
- National Institute for Health Research, PGfAR sub-panel (2012-present)
- NHS Research for Patient Benefit (RFPB) north-eastern commissioning board (2006-9).
- Director of Durham Clinical Trial Unit, Wolfson Research Institute, University of Durham
- Director of Research, Chair of School Research Committee, School of Medicine and Health, University of Durham
- External Examiner, Postgraduate Programme of Health Research. Leeds University (2007-2011)
- Chair, Board of Examiners, Undergraduate Medicine, University of Durham
- Senior Associate Lecturer, University of Leeds
- Director of Durham Clinical Trial Unit, Wolfson Research Institute, University of Durham
Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, School of
- Centre for Integrated Health Care Research
- Durham Clinical Trials Unit (DCTU)
- Research Design Service (RDS)
Department of Geography
- Evaluating the County Durham Worklessness and Health Support Programme, County Durham Primary Care Trust, £550,000
Quantitative Health Research Methods (Postgraduate Health)(30 hours/year.)
- Statistics Primer (Postgraduate Health) (7 hours/year.)
Journal papers: academic
- Mason, A. R. Mason, J., Cork, M., Hancock, H. & Dooley, G. (Published). Treatments for Chronic Plaque Psoriasis of the Scalp: a Systematic Review. British Journal of Dermatology
- Thomas, K S, Crook, A M, Nunn, A J Foster, K A, Mason, J M , Chalmers, J R, IbrahimS N Brindle, R J, English, J, Merekith, S K, Reynolds, N J de Berker, M D, Mortimer, P S & Williams, H C (2013). Penicillin to prevent recurrent leg cellulitis. The New England Journal of Medicine 368(18): 1695-1703.
- Warren, J., Bambra, C., Kasim, A., Garthwaite, K., Mason, J. & Booth, M. (2013). Prospective pilot evaluation of the effectiveness and cost-utility of a "health first" case management service for long-term Incapacity Benefit recipients. Journal of Public Health 1-9.
- Jameson, S., Baker, P., Mason, J., Deehan, D., Gregg, P., Porter, M. & Reed, M. (2013). Risk of revision following cemented, cementless, hybrid and resurfacing hip implants in 46 867 patients - a retrospective comparison study using data from the National Joint Registry. Bone & Joint Journal: Orthopaedic Proceedings Supplement 95-B(SUPP 1): 27.
- Jegatheeswaran, S, Mason J M, Hancock H C & Siriwardena, A K (2013). The Liver-First Approach to the Management of Colorectal Cancer With Synchronous Hepatic Metastases - A Systematic Review. JAMA Surgery 148(4): 385-391.
- Pending (2013). Topical (intra-articular) tranexamic acid reduces blood loss and transfusion rates following total hip replacement: a randomised controlled trial. Pending Pending(Pending): Pending, Pending.
- Mason, A.R., Mason, J., Cork, M., Dooley, G. & Hancock, H. (2013). Topical treatments for chronic plaque psoriasis. The Cochrane Library
- Mason, James, Hancock, Helen, Close, Helen, Murphy, Jerry, Fuat, Ahmet, de Belder, Mark, Singh, Raj, Teggert, Andrew, Wood, Esther, Brennan, Gill, Hussain, Nehal, Kumar, Nitin, Manshani, Novin, Hodges, David, Wilson, Douglas & Hungin, Pali (2013). Utility of Biomarkers in the Differential Diagnosis of Heart Failure in Older People: Findings from the Heart Failure In Care Homes (HFinCH) Diagnostic Accuracy Study. PLOS ONE 8(1): e53560.
- Siriwardena, A. K., Mason, J. M., Sheen, A. J., Makin, A. & Shah, N. (2012). Antioxidant Therapy Does Not Reduce Pain in Patients with Chronic Pancreatitis: The ANTICIPATE Study. Gastroenterology 143(3): 655-663.
- Junejo, M. A., Mason, J. M., Sheen, A. J., Moore, J., Foster, P., Atkinson, D., Parker, M. J. & Siriwardena, A. K. (2012). Cardiopulmonary exercise testing for preoperative risk assessment before hepatic resection. The British Journal of Surgery 99(8): 1097-1104.
- Wood, V.J., Spencer, I.H., Curtis, S.E., Gesler, W., Close, H.J., Mason, J.M. & Reilly, J.G. (2012). Creating 'therapeutic landscapes' for mental health carers in inpatient settings, a dynamic perspective on permeability and inclusivity. Social Science and Medicine
- Reissland, N., Francis, B. & Mason, J. (2012). Development of Fetal Yawn Compared with Non-Yawn Mouth Openings from 24-36 Weeks Gestation. PLOS ONE 7(11): e50569.
- Reissland, N., Harvey, H. & Mason. J. M. (2012). Effects of maternal parity, depression and stress on two-month-old infant expression of pain. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 30(4): 363-376.
- Hancock, H. C., Close, H., Mason, J. M., Murphy, J. J., Fuat, A., Singh, R., Wood, E., de Belder, M., Brennan, G, Nussain, N, Kumar, N, Wilson, DW & Hungin, APS (2012). High prevalence of undetected heart failure in long-term care residents: findings from the Heart Failure in Care Homes (HFinCH) study. European Journal of Heart Failure Advance Access
- Close, H., Mason, J. M., Wilson, D. W. & Hungin, A. P. S. (2012). Hormone replacement therapy is associated with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Gastroenterology 12: 56.
- Jameson, J. J., Baker, P. N., Mason, J. M., Porter, M. L., Deehan, D. J. & Reed, M. R. (2012). Independent predictors of revision following metal-on-metal hip resurfacing: a retrospective cohort study uysing National Joint Registry data. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery 94-B(6): 746-754.
- Thomas, K., Crook,A. Foster, K., Mason, JM., Chalmers, J., Bourke, J., Ferguson, A., Levell, N., Nunn, A. & Williams, H. (2012). Prophylactic antibiotics for the prevention of cellulitis (erysipelas) of the leg – results of the UK Dermatology Clinical Trials Network’s PATCH II trial. British Journal of Dermatology 166(1): 169-178.
- Narayanan, RP., Mason, JM., Taylor, J., Long, AF., Gambling, T., New, JP., Gibson, JM. & Young, RJ. (2012). Telemedicine to improve glycaemic control: 3-year results from the Pro-Active Call Centre Treatment Support (PACCTS) trial. Diabetic Medicine 29(2): 284-285.
- Jameson, S S, Baker, P N, Mason, J, Gregg, P J, Brewster, N, Deehan, D J & Reed, M R (2012). The design of the acetabular component and size of the femoral head influence the risk of revision following 34 721 single-brand cemented hip replacements. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, British Volume 94-B(12): 1611-1617.
- Craig, F. F., Thomas, K. S., Mitchell, E. J., Williams, H. C., Norrie, J., Mason, J. M. & Ormerod, A. D. (2012). UK Dermatology Clinical Trials Network's STOP GAP Trial (a multicentre trial of prednisolone versus ciclosporin for pyoderma gangrenosum): protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 13(1): Epub.
- Craig, F. F., Thomas, K. S., Mitchell, E. J., Williams, H. C., Norrie, J., Mason, J. M. & Ormerod, A. D. (2012). UK Dermatology Clinical Trials Network's STOP GAP Trial (a multicentre trial of prednisolone versus ciclosporin for pyoderma gangrenosum): protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 13: 51, 1-7.
- Hancock, H. C., Mason, J. M. & Murphy, J. J. (2012). Using the method of judgement analysis to address variations in diagnostic decision making. BMC Research Notes 5: 139.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B., Mason, JM. & Lincoln, K. (2011). Do Facial Expressions Develop before Birth?. PLoS One 6(8): e24081.
- Sukeik M., Alshryda S., Haddad FS. & Mason JM. (2011). Systematic review and meta-analysis of the use of tranexamic acid in total hip replacement. Journal of bone and joint surgery 93-B(1): 39-46.
- Mason, J.M., Babu, B.I., Bagul, A. & Siriwardena, A.K (2010). The performance of organ dysfunction scores for the early prediction and management of severity in acute pancreatitis an exploratory phase diagnostic study. Pancreas 39(7): 1104-1108.
- Mason, JM. , Balachandra, S. Babu, BI., Bagul, A. & Siriwardena, AK. (2010). The performance of organ dysfunction scores for the early prediction and management of severity in acute pancreatitis: an exploratory phase diagnostic study. Pancreas 39(7): 1104-1108.
- McLure, S., McColl, E. & Mason, J. (2009). National research guidance and support for Trusts. Journal of Paramedic Practice 1(15): 636-639.
- Raghunath, A.S. , Hungin, A.P. , Mason, J. & Jackson, W. (2009). Symptoms in patients on long-term proton pump inhibitors: prevalence and predictors. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 29(4): 431-439.
- Russell, A, Heckler, S, White, M, Sengupta, S, Chappel, D, Hunter, David J, Mason, James, Milne, E & Lewis, S (2009). The evolution of a UK regional tobacco control office in its early years: social contexts and policy dynamics. Health Promotion International 24(3): 262-268.
- Mason AR., Mason JM., Cork M., Dooley G. & Edwards G. (2009). Topical treatments for chronic plaque psoriasis. Cochrane database of systematic reviews 15(2): CD005028.
- Cornford, C.S. Mason, J. , Buchanan, K., Reeves, D. Kontopantelis, E. Sibbald, B. Thornton-Jones, H. Williamson, M. & Baer, L. (2008). A survey of primary and specialised health care provision to prisons in England and Wales. Primary Health Care Research & Development 9(02): 126-135.
- Mason, J.M., Raghunath, A.S., Hungin, A.P. & Jackson, W. (2008). Helicobacter pylori eradication in long-term proton pump inhibitor users is highly cost-effective: economic analysis of the HELPUP trial. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 28(11-12): 1297-1303.
- van de Kerkhof, P.C., Barker, J. Griffiths, C.E. Kragballe, K. Mason, J. , Menter, A. & Papp, K. (2008). Psoriasis: consensus on topical therapies. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 22(7): 859-870.
- Dickinson, H.O. Campbell, F. Beyer, F.R. Nicolson, D.J. Cook, J.V., Ford, G.A. & Mason, J.M. (2008). Relaxation therapies for the management of primary hypertension in adults: a Cochrane review. Journal of Human Hypertension 22(12): 809-820.
- Goonetilleke, K.S. Mason, J.M. , Siriwardana, P. King, N.K. France, M.W. & Siriwardena, A.K. (2007). Diagnostic and prognostic value of plasma tumor M2 pyruvate kinase in periampullary cancer: evidence for a novel biological marker of adverse prognosis. Pancreas 34(3): 318-324.
- Raghunath, AS, Hungin, AP, Mason, J & Jackson, W (2007). Helicobacter pylori eradication in long-term proton pump inhibitor users in primary care: a randomized-controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25(5): 585-592.
- Siriwardena, A.K. Mason, J.M. , Balachandra, S. Bagul, A. Galloway, S. Formela, L., Hardman, J.G. & Jamdar, S. (2007). Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of intravenous (n-acetylcysteine, selenium, vitamin c) antioxidant therapy in severe acute pancreatitis. Gut 56(10): 1439-1444.
- Moreira, T, May, C, Mason, JM & Eccles, M (2006). A new method of analysis enables a better understanding of clinical practice guideline development processes. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 59: 1199-1206.
- Dickinson, HO, Nicolson, DJ, Cook, JV Campbell, F Beyer, FR Ford, GA & Mason, J (2006). Calcium supplementation for the management of primary hypertension in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2).
- Beyer, FR, Dickinson, HO, Nicolson, DJ, Ford, GA & Mason, J (2006). Combined calcium, magnesium and potassium supplementation for the management of primary hypertension in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (3).
- Mason, JM, Young, RJ, New, JP, Gibson, JM, Long, AF, Gambling, T & Friede, T (2006). Economic analysis of a telemedicine intervention to improve glycemic control in patients with diabetes mellitus: illustration of a novel analytic method. Disease Management and Health Outcomes 14(6): 377-385.
- Lock, CA, Lecouturier, J, Mason, JM & Dickinson, HO (2006). Lifestyle interventions to prevent osteoporotic fractures: a systematic review. Osteoporos Int 17(1): 20-28.
- Dickinson, HO, Mason, JM, Nicolson, DJ, Campbell, F, Beyer, FR, Cook, JV, Williams, B & Ford, GA (2006). Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Hypertens 24(2): 215-233.
- Dickinson, HO, Nicolson, DJ, Campbell, F, Cook, JV, Beyer, FR, Ford, GA & Mason, J (2006). Magnesium supplementation for the management of essential hypertension in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (3).
- Campbell, F, Dickinson, HO, Cook, JV, Beyer, FR, Eccles, M & Mason, JM (2006). Methods underpinning national clinical guidelines for hypertension: describing the evidence shortfall. BMC Health Services Research 6: 47.
- Dickinson, HO, Nicolson, DJ, Campbell, F, Beyer, FR & Mason, J. (2006). Potassium supplementation for the management of primary hypertension in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (3).
- Mason, JM & Mason, AR (2006). The generalisability of pharmacoeconomic studies: issues and challenges ahead. Pharmacoeconomics 24(10): 937-945.
- Long, AF, Gambling, T, Young, RJ, Taylor, J & Mason, JM (2005). Acceptability and satisfaction with a telecarer approach to the management of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 28(2): 283-289.
- Mason, JM & Siriwardena, AK (2005). Designing future clinical trials in acute pancreatitis. Pancreatology 5(2-3): 113-115.
- Mason, JM & Hungin, APS (2005). Gastroesophageal reflux disease - the health economic implications. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22(Suppl 1): 20-31.
- Mason, JM, Delaney, B, Moayyedi, P, Thomas, M & Walt, R (2005). Managing dyspepsia without alarm signs in primary care: new national guidance for England and Wales. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21(9): 1135-1143.
- Young, RJ, Taylor, J, Friede, T, Hollis, S, Mason, JM, Lee, P, Burns, E, Long, AF, Gambling, T, New, JP & Gibson, JM (2005). Pro-active call center treatment support (PACCTS) to improve glucose control in type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care 28(2): 278-282.
- Mason, JM, Freemantle, N, Gibson, JM & New, JP (2005). Specialist nurse-led clinics to improve control of hypertension and hyperlipidemia in diabetes: economic analysis of the SPLINT trial. Diabetes Care 28(1): 40-46.
- Atkins, D, Briss, PA, Eccles, M, Flottorp, S, Guyatt, GH, Harbour, RT, Hill, S, Jaeschke, R, Liberati, A, Magrini, N, Mason, JM, O'Connell, D, Oxman, AD, Phillips, B, Schunemann, H, Edejer, TT, Vist, GE & Williams, JW, Jr (2005). Systems for grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations II: pilot study of a new system. BMC Health Serv Res 5(1): 25.
- Mason, JM, Dickinson, HO, Nicolson, DJ, Campbell, F, Ford, GA & Williams, B (2005). The diabetogenic potential of thiazide-type diuretic and beta-blocker combinations in patients with hypertension. J Hypertens 23(10): 1777-1781.
- Moayyedi, P & Mason, JM (2004). Cost utility and cost-benefit analyses: how did we get here and where are we going? European J Gastroenterol Hepatol 27: 453-458.
- New, JP, Mason, JM, Freemantle, N, Teasdale, S, Wong, L, Bruce, NJ, Burns, JA & Gibson, JM (2004). Educational outreach in diabetes to encourage practice nurses to use primary care hypertension and hyperlipidaemia guidelines (EDEN): a randomised controlled trial. Diabet Med 21(6): 599-603.
- Mason, JM & The GRADE Working Group (2004). Grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations. BMJ 328(7454): 1490-1497.
- Nicolson, DJ, Dickinson, HO, Campbell, F & Mason, JM (2004). Lifestyle interventions or drugs for patients with essential hypertension: a systematic review. J Hypertens 22(11): 2043-2048.
- Virlos, IT, Mason, JM, Schofield, D, McCloy, RF, Eddleston, JM & Siriwardena, AK (2003). Intravenous n-acetylcysteine, ascorbic acid and selenium-based anti-oxidant therapy in severe acute pancreatitis. Scand J Gastroenterol 38(12): 1262-1267.
- Mason, JM (2003). National screening for diabetic retinopathy: clear vision needed. Diabet Med 20(12): 959-961.
- New, JP, Mason, JM, Freemantle, N, Teasdale, S, Wong, LM, Bruce, NJ, Burns, JA & Gibson, JM (2003). Specialist nurse-led intervention to treat and control hypertension and hyperlipidemia in diabetes (SPLINT): a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care 26(8): 2250-2255.
- Cleland, JG, Swedberg, K, Follath, F, Komajda, M, Cohen-Solal, A, Aguilar, JC, Dietz, R, Gavazzi, A, Hobbs, R, Korewicki, J, Madeira, HC, Moiseyev, VS, Preda, I, van Gilst, WH, Widimsky, J, Freemantle, N, Eastaugh, J, Mason, JM & Study Group on Diagnosis of the Working Group on Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology. (2003). The EuroHeart Failure survey programme-- a survey on the quality of care among patients with heart failure in Europe. Part 1: patient characteristics and diagnosis. Eur Heart J 24(5): 442-463.
- Komajda, M, Follath, F, Swedberg, K, Cleland, J, Aguilar, JC, Cohen-Solal, A, Dietz, R, Gavazzi, A, Van Gilst, WH, Hobbs, R, Korewicki, J, Madeira, HC, Moiseyev, VS, Preda, I, Widimsky, J, Freemantle, N, Eastaugh, J, Mason, JM & Study Group on Diagnosis of the Working Group on Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology. (2003). The EuroHeart Failure Survey programme--a survey on the quality of care among patients with heart failure in Europe. Part 2: treatment. Eur Heart J 24(5): 464-474.
- Moayyedi, P & Mason, JM (2002). Clinical and economic consequences of dyspepsia in the community. GUT 50(Suppl 4): 10-12.
- Nazareth, I, Freemantle, N, Duggan, C, Mason, JM & Haines, A (2002). Evaluation of a complex intervention for changing professional behaviour: the Evidence Based Out Reach (EBOR) Trial. J Health Serv Res Policy 7(14): 230-238.
- Mason A & Mason JM (2002). Optometrist prescribing of therapeutic agents: findings of the AESOP survey. Health Policy 60(2): 185-97.
- Beattie, GC, Mason, JM, Swan, D, Madhavan, KK & Siriwardena, AK (2002). Outcome of necrosectomy in acute pancreatitis: the case for continued vigilance. Scand J Gastroenterol 37(12): 1449-1453.
- Mason, JM, Duffett, S, Axon, ATR, Drummond, M, Crocombe, W, Feltbower, R & Moayyedi, P (2002). The cost effectiveness population Helicobacter pylori screening and treatment: a Markov model using economic data from a randomized controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16(3): 559-568.
- Mason, JM, Wilson, D & Nicolson, DJ (2002). The national guideline support and research unit: its role and aims. J Clinical Excellence 4: 200-201.
- Mason, JM, Mason, AR & Cork, MJ (2002). Topical preparations for the treatment of psoriasis: a systematic review. Br J Dermatol 146(3): 351-364.
- Eccles, M & Mason, JM (2001). How to develop cost-conscious guidelines. Health Technol Assess 5(16).
- Mason, JM, Freemantle, N & Browning, G (2001). Impact of effective health care bulletin on treatment of persistent glue ear in children: time series analysis. British Medical Journal 323(7321): 1096-1097.
- Nightingale, S, Holmes, J, Mason, JM & House, A (2001). Psychiatric illness and mortality after hip fracture. Lancet 357(9264): 1264-1265.
- Neal, RD, Wickenden, G, Cottrell, D, Mason, JM, Rugiano, J, Clarkson, P & Bearpark, A (2001). The use of primary, secondary, community and social care by families who frequently consult their general practitioner. Health and Social Care in the Community 9: 375-383.
- Mason, JM, Freemantle, N, Nazareth, I, Eccles, M, Haines, A & Drummond, M (2001). When is it cost-effective to change the behaviour of health professionals?. JAMA 286(23): 2988-2992.
Other publications: research
- Alshryda, S., Tsang, K., Al-Shryda, J., Blenkinsopp, J., Adedapo, A., Montgomery, R. & Mason, J. (2013). Interventions for treating slipped upper femoral epiphysis (SUFE). The Cochrane Collaboration, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. The Cochrane Library 1-14.
- Marks, L. , Cave, S. , Hunter,DJ. , Mason, JM., Peckham, S., Wallace, A., Mason, A., Weatherly. H. & Melvin, K. (2011). Public Health Governance and Primary Care Delivery: a Triangulated Study. Final Report. National Institute for Health Research.
- 2012: DISCARD 2 (£57062.00 from NHS South Tyne & Wear)
- 2012: SNS Constipation Project (£75880.00 from NHS Darlington)
- 2011: Oesophageal Stent Study (£58457.00 from NIHR)
- 2011: Revalidation of Academic Partners..... (£233875.00 from Department of Health)
- 2010: Improving surgical outcomes in breast cancer (£55878.56 from NIHR)
- 2010: Reilly J, Curtis S, Mason JM, Gesler W, Spencer I, Close H Evaluating the implementation of a new psychiatric inpatient facility: a mixed methods approach. NIHR PERP 2010-2012, £324,717
- 2009: Evaluating the County Durham Worklessness and... (£11917.02 from County Durham & Darlington PCT)
- 2008: LITHIUM USE AND RISK OF RENAL FAILURE (£14302.43 from British Renal Society)
- 2008: North East Research Design Services (NERDS) (£1943516.61 from NHS)
- 2008: Setting priorities and reducing uncertainties (£8080.00 from NIHR)
- 2008: Who cares? Resolving Undetected Heart Failure (£248151.00 from NIHR)
- 2007: Cox J, Mason J, Spratt S, Hancock H, Wilson D Multidetector CT To Improving Surgical Outcomes in Breast Cancer (MISO-BC): A Randomised Controlled Trial. NIHR RFPB 2010-13 (30 months) £221,500.