Dr Emily Jacqueline Henderson
Dr Henderson is a medical anthropologist based in the Evaluation, Research and Development Unit (ERDU) in the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health. Her research contributes to the Unit's programme for evidence-based commissioning that addresses health inequalities in primary care. She also holds the responsibility of supporting the development of proposals for external research funding.
- Obesity, lifestyle and well-being
- Responsibilisation and health
- Health inequalities and social determinants of health
- Biocultural anthropology
- Primary care health services
Dr Henderson teaches on the Public Policy, Health and Health Inequalities postgraduate module, and welcomes Master's and PhD students with shared research interests.
- 2013: Fuse (Economic and Social Research Council) Project Grant. 'Narrative review of the use of data from national childhood obesity surveillance programmes in primary care'
- 2012: Early Career Award, Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing, Durham University. 'Roles and responsibilities in obesity-related lifestyle change: A meta-ethnography of service users’ and primary care practitioners’ perceptions in the United Kingdom'
- 2006-2008: Doctoral Teaching Assistantship, Department of Anthropology, Durham University
- 2006-2007: Doctoral Fieldwork Grant, Medical Anthropology Research Group, Durham University. 'Adiposity in British Pakistani and White British school children aged 7-11 years living in Middlesbrough (UK): Associations between ethnicity, generation and birthweight'
Recent Conference Papers
Henderson EJ (2013) Roles and responsibilities in obesity-related lifestyle change: A meta-ethnography of patients’ and primary care practitioners' perceptions in the United Kingdom. Accepted for the European Social Anthropology Society and American Anthropological Association Conference. Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Spain.
Henderson EJ (2012) Responsibilisation of childhood obesity: Exploring the roles of parents and primary care providers. Royal Anthropological Institute Conference. British Museum, London, UK.
Department of Anthropology
- Medical Anthropology Research Group
Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, School of
- Evaluation Research Development Unit (ERDU)
- Qualitative Health Research Group
Department of Anthropology
- Investigating Physical Activity and Diet in British Pakistani Women and Girls.
- Understanding the impact of early environment on ovarian function and cardiovascular risk factors
Evaluation Research Development Unit (ERDU)
- Isabel PRO
- Oral Health and Diet
- Oral Health Promotion
- Respiratory Service Configuration
- Single Point of Access/Urgent Care
- Urgent Care Rapid Review
Journal papers: academic
- Henderson EJ & Rubin GP (2013). Process evaluation of an online diagnostic decision support system (Isabel) in general practice. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine Short Reports In press.
- Henderson EJ & Rubin GP (2012). Development of a community-based model for respiratory care services. BMC Health Services Research 12: 193, 1-10.
- Brown, S, Henderson, EJ, Howse, J & Rubin, GP (2012). Patient views of single number access to urgent care services. Family Practice 29(6): 713-718.
- Henderson, E.J., Jones, C.H.D., Hornby-Turner, Y.C. & Pollard, T.P. (2011). Adiposity and Blood Pressure in 7- to 11-Year-Old Children: Comparison of British Pakistani and White British Children, and of British Pakistani Children of Migrant and British-Born Mothers. American Journal of Human Biology 23(5): 710-716.
- Henderson EJ, Atherton H, Weir R & Pollard TM (2005). Intergenerational differences in body composition in 8-9 year old British Pakistani children: A pilot study. Society, Biology and Human Affairs 70: 23-34.
Other publications: research
- Brown S, Henderson E, Dobson C, Nixon C & Rubin G (2012). Pharmacists' perspectives on the feasibility of the provision of alcohol screening and brief advice to women attending for emergency hormonal contraception: a pilot study. Primary Health Care Research and Development 13(S).
- Henderson, EJ, Jones, CHD, Hornby-Turner, YC & Pollard, TM (2011). Adiposity and birth weight in 7–11 year old British children: Comparison of British Pakistanis and white Britons, and second and third generation British Pakistanis. Annals of Human Biology 38(4): 461.
- Jones C, Henderson E, Pollard T & Ball H (2008). The association between sleep and obesity in primary school children in Middlesbrough. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society: 67: E221.
- Brown S, Henderson E, Dobson C & Nixon C (2013). The Feasibility and Effectiveness of the Provision of Alcohol Screening and Brief Advice in Pharmacies for Women Accessing for Emergency Contraception.
- Henderson, EJ (2012). A service evaluation of oral health promotion in nursery and reception year children in dental practices in County Durham.
- Brown, SR, Henderson, EJ & Howse, J (2011). Study of patient views of single number access to urgent care services for NHS County Durham and Darlington.
- Henderson EJ & Rubin GP (2010). Developing a community based model for respiratory care services, for Stockton-on-Tees Teaching PCT.
- Henderson EJ & Rubin GP (2010). Evaluation of a 3 month pilot of Isabel PRO in primary care for County Durham Primary Care Trust.
- Henderson, EJ (Published). Adiposity in British Pakistani and White British school children aged 7-11 years living in Middlesbrough (UK): Associations between ethnicity, generation and birthweight. PhD.