The Junior Common Room
The JCR, or Junior Common Room, is at the heart of college life. It represents all undergraduate students at Van Mildert and provides numerous services and facilities to its members, as well as the opportunity for students to have a voice in the running of their college.
Such student participation is what makes Durham University's collegiate system unique, and gives each college its own individual character. Students can participate in the running of the JCR by joining one of its numerous committees. The running of the JCR and of the College is overseen by the JCR Executive Committee, annually elected from the student body. Other committees students can join include Bar Committee, Theatre Committee, Shop Committee, Social Committee and many others.
The JCR's biggest asset is the college bar, open daily. As well as reasonably-priced drinks, the bar's considerable profits are invested by the JCR in new facilities and new equipment for use by students. Recent purchases included a new tennis court and a complete refurbishment of the college's gymnasium.
More about our Committees...
- Executive Committee oversee and have ultimate responsibility for the management of the JCR. The President and Bar Steward, who sit on 'exec' are former students elected and employed by the JCR to oversee its running on a fulltime basis.
- Bar Committee are responsible for the day-to-day management of the bar and students can join 'Team Bar' to get the opportunity to work on the bar.
- DUCK Committee organise charity events and carry out fundraising for good causes.
- Theatre Committee and Arts Committee organise plays, art exhibitions, music recitals and a range of other events throughout the academic year.
- Services (Shop) Committee run the college shop and sell essential supplies - from milk and Ginsters to shower gel.
- Social Committee organise the college's numerous social events, from setting up the P.A. to taking money on the door.
- Web Committee design and maintain the JCR website and message board.
- There are many more committees, in fact too many to list here. But whatever your interests, if you want to get involved there'll be something for you.
If you want to get involved, there are always opportunities to do so, whatever your interests and skills. Sometimes you forget that you have a degree to do as well!