As recorded in the VC's bulletin #75 on 19 July 2010.
University Council approved changes to the University's standing orders to clarify the roles of College Councils (maintained Colleges only) in relation to the roles and responsibilities of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Warden of the Colleges and Heads of House. These changes provide clarity around the critical role of College Councils in supporting the Head of House in promoting excellence and maintaining the integrity and ethos of the individual College community, as distinct from the formal budgetary, planning and other responsibilities of the Heads of House and the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Warden of the Colleges. These changes will be embedded over the next academic year.
As part of these changes the membership of the College Councils have changed, as each college take these changes forward the College Council membership pages will be updated accordingly.
The amended College Council membership of maintained colleges will be:
- The Vice-Chancellor and Warden
- The Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Warden of the Colleges (title change 2012)
- The Head of House
- The Senior Tutor
- The College Bursar
- The College Council Chair, who will normally be a member of University Council, appointed by University Council on the recommendation of Nominations Committee
- Up to three student representatives, selected for their ability to represent the student body and contribute to strategic discussion. These will normally include the Presidents of the JCR and MCR or equivalent
- Up to six additional appointed members, to include external members and members of University academic staff (who would be expected to become members of the SCR). These members will be appointed by the Head of House and College Council Chair and will normally hold office for three years renewable for not more than two consecutive periods of three years
College Councils may co-opt up to four additional members on the approval of College Council, who will normally hold office for three years renewable for not more than two consecutive periods of three years
- George Stephenson (At Queen's Campus)
- Josephine Butler
- John Snow (At Queen's Campus)
- St. Aidan's
- St. Cuthbert's Society
- St. Hild and St. Bede
- St. Mary's
- Ustinov (Postgraduate Only)
- Van Mildert