Robert Young Scholarship Fund
Local entrepreneur and councillor Bob Young recently donated an historic £1 million to Durham University, the largest ever scholarship donation in the history of Durham University. This incredible donation will enable Durham University to award a Robert Young Scholarship of £10,000 every year for the next 32 years. The scholarship will be held for the duration of the student's course, subject to successfully meeting the terms and conditions of the award.
The scholarship recipient will have their yearly tuition fees paid, currently £9,000, with the remaining balance being paid directly against accommodation costs.
Who is Eligible?
You are eligible to apply for the 2013/14 Robert Young Scholarship if:
- You have applied for a place through UCAS on an undergraduate degree programme at Durham University starting in the academic year 2013/14;
- You intend to accept, or have already accepted, Durham University's offer of a place as your firm choice through UCAS;
- You are classed as a home fee-paying student for tuition fee purposes;
- You were living in County Durham when you submitted your application for a place at Durham University through UCAS (for the purposes of determining eligibility for the 2013/14 Robert Young Scholarship "living in County Durham" is defined as having a home postcode which starts with any one of the letter/number combinations in the document below with the exception of the listed exclusions);
- You were educated at a state-maintained County Durham school, college or other secondary education provider for two of the most recent four years of your education;
- You are entitled to receive the full maintenance grant from Student Finance England
- Robert Young Eligible Postcodes (last modified: 10 July 2012)
How to Apply
To apply please complete the 2013/14 application form below and return it to the address provided by Friday 26th April 2013. Please also provide:
- A Personal Statement of no more than 1,000 words describing your financial circumstances, how the 2013/14 Robert Young Scholarship would help you to study at Durham University and why you want to study at Durham University;
- A Reference from one of your teachers in support of your scholarship application to be sent directly to the address on the application form;
- A copy of your Student Finance England letter confirming you are entitled to receive the full maintenance grant. (If you are waiting for confirmation of your grant entitlement please submit your scholarship application and forward details of your grant entitlement as soon as you can)
- A copy of your last P60 or proof of your current entitlement to benefits (students not currently in secondary education only).
- Robert Young Scholarship Application Form 2013 Entry (last modified: 2 April 2013)
How will my application be assessed?
Applications will be considerd on the basis of their ability to meet the eligibility criteria, academic potential and the personal statement provided with the application form.
All eligible applications for the 2013/14 Robert Young Scholarship will be considered by a panel of senior staff at Durham University. The panel will consist of:
- The Pro-Vice Chancellor for Education
- A Senior College Officer
- A Senior academic
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by Friday 24th May 2013
If you have any queries regarding the Robert Young Scholarship or the application process please email email@example.com or telephone 0191 334 6143
Robert Young Scholarships
There are no FAQs in this category.