Publication details for Dr Robert SongRobert Song (2007). 'Genetic Manipulation and the Body of Christ'. Studies in Christian Ethics 20(3): 399-420.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0953-9468 (print), 1745-5235 (online)
- DOI: 10.1177/0953946807082935
- Keywords: Body, Body of Christ, Church, Cosmetic surgery, Genetic enhancement, Giddens
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
Efforts to distinguish therapeutic from non-therapeutic genetic interventions in the human body have floundered on the assumption that the body should be understood as a psycho-physical corpus. This article argues by contrast that the body of Christ, that is the church, should be seen as the hermeneutical key to interpreting the body, and therefore that features of the corporate life of the church can provide criteria for distinguishing acceptable from unacceptable forms of genetic intervention. Formation of the bodies of Christians in the church is contrasted with the formation of the body by the reflexive project of modern self-identity.