Welcome to St Mary's College
Established in 1899, St Mary's is Durham's third oldest College. Originally founded as a pioneering women-only College, our community is now mixed and comprises around 750 undergraduate members and 100 postgraduates. We are a relatively small, traditional, warm and friendly College situated in a great location. Our neoclassical buildings and extensive grounds provide a beautiful environment in which to live and study. We offer outstanding levels of pastoral support and opportunities for academic success. We combine the very best elements of Durham.
Why choose St Mary's College?
A diverse and friendly community: Warm and accepting, St Mary's is renowned in Durham as being one of the friendliest colleges. Wherever in the world you are from and whatever background you are from, St Mary's will welcome you.
Traditional and dynamic: We are modern and dynamic in our outlook, encouraging our students to cultivate new interests, societies and initiatives, yet we still very much value our heritage and traditions. We hold gowned formal meals with some of the best food anywhere in the University.
- A brilliant location: As the closest 'Hill College' to the main University Library and Science Site, and the nearest 'Hill College' to the city centre, St Mary's students enjoy one of the best sites in the University with an inspiring view of the Cathedral.
- Vibrant and active: There are always things to get involved with at Mary's. We are especially known for our activity in the arts and music and have the highest participation rate in sport of any College in the official University survey (2011). We are proud of our extensive achievements in volunteering in the local community through organisations such as Student Community Action and Durham University Charities Kommittee (DUCK).
This is what our students say about us...
"The college is one big family. Everyone is friendly and welcoming, willing to help out one another and loyal to the end."
"Without a doubt St Mary's has the friendliest atmosphere and the strongest college spirit."
"St Mary's is incredibly welcoming and open. You can join any club and instantly find a support network. The pastoral care is excellent."
"I love the openness and space that college provides, not just physically but also figuratively. I made great friends here, that I'm sure will last a life time!"
Comments from the 2010-2011 Student Experience Survey
Garden Party and Family Fun Day
Saturday 15 June 2013 - 2 pm to 4.30 pm
(15 May 2013) » Read more about this story Garden Party and Family Fun Day
- Garden Party (last modified: 15 May 2013) - Graphics file
Contact DetailsSt Mary's College
Elvet Hill Road
+44 (0)191 334 5719
Take a look around...
Watch our St Mary's College film
St Mary's Facebook
St Mary's Twitter
Conferences and Tourism
- Brilliant performance of Midsummer Night's Dream put on by Mary's students tonight. Well done to everyone. St Mary's got talent!
Tweeted Sat, 09 Mar 2013 23:13:23 +0000
- Congratulations to Matt Watson who has been elected to the post of JCR President for next academic year
Tweeted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:04:02 +0000
- Happy Chinese New Year to all of our Chinese students, alumni and friends! Looking forward to our formal on Tuesday to celebrate this!
Tweeted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:41:16 +0000