St John's College Facilities- Chapel
Chapel News and Notices:
The College Chapel, which is officially the Church of St. Mary the Less, lies in the shadow of the Durham Cathedral over the Bailey from the main College buildings. This church was originally one of the smallest parish churches in England, founded c. 1140 by one of the Bulmers, Lord of Brancepeth. The church was built originally as a place of worship for retainers and fighting men who came to staff the city walls. It served an area of just four acres within the peninsula. In 1901 the population of the parish was 133. After extensive renovations in 1847 it was opened in is present form. The College acquired the church in 1919 subsequent to the neighbouring church of St. Mary-le-Bow being designated the parish church. The church has served the College community as a Chapel ever since that time. It continues to be an important place of worship and prayer throughout the year but especially during term time.
The Chaplain's office is situated on the ground floor in Haugton House. Please feel free to drop in, or email email@example.com