History of the College
In 2009, St John's celebrated its centenary. Join us in looking back over our first 100 years, and share in our vision for the next 100!
St. John's College was founded in 1909 to provide an opportunity for prospective ordinands in the Church of England to receive a University education outside Oxford or Cambridge. It became a full constituent college of the University of Durham in 1923, but remains independent of it both administratively and financially.
From earliest days a small number of non-ordinands were also admitted to the student body, although the proportion of non-Theologians remained very small until the 1950s. In 1958 a separate hall within College, Cranmer Hall, was formed for ministerial training. Cranmer Hall has been a recognised Anglican theological college ever since.
The remaining "Junior Hall", now known as John's Hall, has grown much larger than Cranmer and admits students reading for the whole range of University degrees.
College governance today
St John's College is governed by the College Council and supported by two external bodies, St. John's Society (the Alumni association) and the Senior Common Room. The College Officers are responsible for the daily management of the College. They comprise the Principal, the Senior Tutor, the Bursar and the Warden of Cranmer Hall. Students of both Halls are supported by a team of personal and academic tutors.