The Parent-Infant Sleep Lab is a research lab in the Department of Anthropology. It is the home for a group of researchers examining various aspects of infant and child sleep and parenting behaviour. The lab itself was opened in 2000, while the research programmes it houses have been in operation since 1995. The Sleep Lab provides opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students to become involved in our research, and we welcome enquiries. As our research team has grown our research focus has broadened and we are now involved in projects examining several aspects of adult sleep in addition to that of parents and their children.
- Are you an expectant mum or mum of a baby under 4 weeks old? Do you live in the Teesside or Darlington areas? We are now recruiting for a new home-based study. Click here to find out more.
- Do you have a baby under 6 months old? We are now recruiting for a new lab-based study. Click here to find out more.
- Want to know where and when the Sleep Lab team are giving talks this year? See our Talks and Conferences page to find out!
- For details about our involvement in outreach with schools, sciences fair and visits, see our Events page.
- To find out what the Sleep Lab staff are doing visit our Staff News page for information on funding awards, new jobs and more!
- Ball H.L. (2013) Invited Editorial: Supporting parents who are worried about their newborn's sleep British Medical Journal [view on BMJ website] [download pdf]
- Ball, H.L.2012. 'Sleeping with the baby'. Breastfeeding Briefs, No. 53, Sept.
- Ball, H.L. 2012.'The latest on bed-sharing and breastfeeding'. Community Practitioner, 85(1): 29-31.
- Volpe, L., Ball, H.L. and McKenna, J.J. 2013. 'Nighttime parenting strategies and sleep related risks in infants'. Social Science & Medicine, 79: 91-100.
- Ball, H.L. and Volpe, L. 2013. 'Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) risk reduction and infant sleep location: Moving the discussion forward'. Social Science & Medicine, 79: 84-91.
- Ball, H.L., Moya, E. Fairley, L. Westman, J., Oddie, S. and Wright, J. 2012. 'Bed and sofa-sharing practices in a UK bi-ethnic population'. Pediatrics, 129(3): e673-e681.
- Ball, H.L., Moya, E. Fairley, L. Westman, J., Oddie, S. and Wright, J.. 2012. 'Infant care practices related to sudden infant death syndrome in South Asian and White British families in the UK'. Paediatric & Perinatal Epidemiology, 26(1): 3-12.
To view all Sleep Lab related publications, click here.