Dr Claire Sutherland, Ph.D., M.Sc., M.Sc., LL. B.
(email at email@example.com)
Having spent over two years living, working and studying in Vietnam following her Ph.D., Claire returned to the UK and lectured at the Universities of Bath and Manchester before taking up a lectureship in Southeast Asian politics at Durham in June 2009.
My current research aims to re-examine the assumptions underlying nation-building and the current trend towards deterritorialising citizenship. It is comparative, analysing very different approaches to citizenship and nation-building in eight European and Southeast Asian cases, the latter region being a particularly rich source of both concepts and data. The research project explores the feasibility of delinking citizenship from nationality by returning to the pre-nation-state origins of citizenship as membership of a city. From this basic premise, I set out to disentangle the ethnic and civic components of belonging to a nation-state, which are inherent in today’s citizenship regimes. Building on this, I aim to look at ways of imagining more inclusive, non-ethnic forms of citizenship.
- Nationalism and nation building
- South East Asian politics
- Vietnamese politics
- Comparative European and South East Asian politics
- German politics
Politics of Pacific Asia, Global Regions in International Relations, Region, Nation and Citizen in Southeast Asia
- Sutherland, Claire (2011). Nationalism in the twenty-first century: Challenges and responses. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Sutherland, Claire. (2010). Soldered states: nation-building in Germany and Vietnam. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Barabantseva, Elena & Sutherland, Claire (2011). Diaspora and Citizenship. Routledge.
Edited works: contributions
- Sutherland, Claire (2009). 'Europe and Post-Cold War Nationalism'. In A Companion to Europe since 1945. Larres, Klaus Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell. 387-406
- Sutherland, Claire (2007). Digesting Diasporas: Vietnamese Migrants and German Multiculturalism. In Rethinking Diasporas: hidden narratives and imagined borders. Ní Éigeartaigh, A.,, Howard, K., & Getty, D. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 39-51.
- Sutherland, Claire (2006). Conceptual Combat: Twentieth Century Vietnamese Nationalism. In Nationalisms across the Globe. Burszta, W. et al Poznan: School of Humanities and Journalism. 125-145.
Edited works: journals
- Sutherland, Claire (2012). Introduction: Nation-building in China and Vietnam. East Asia: An International Quarterly, 29 (1): Springer.
- Barabantseva, Elena & Sutherland, Claire (2011). Introduction: Diaspora and Citizenship. Journal of Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, 17 (1): Taylor & Francis.
- Sutherland, Claire (2011). Introduction: German Politics and Society from a Cosmopolitan Perspective. German Politics and Society, 29 (3): Berghahn.
Journal papers: academic
- Sutherland, Claire (2009). 'Reconciling Nation and Region: Vietnamese Nation-Building and ASEAN Regionalism'. Political Studies 57(2): 316-336.
- Sutherland, Claire (2006). Calculated Conviction: Contemporary Nationalist Ideology and Strategy. Studies in Ethnicity and Nationality 6(1): 70-90.
- Sutherland, Claire (2005). Another Nation-building Bloc? Integrating Nationalist Ideology into the EU and ASEAN. Asia-Europe Journal 3(2): 1-17.
- Sutherland, Claire (2005). Nation-building through Discourse theory. Nations and Nationalism 11(2): 185-202.
- Sutherland, Claire (2005). Repression and Resistance? French Colonialism as seen through Vietnamese Museums. Museum and Society 3(3): 153-166.
- Sutherland, Claire (2001). Nation, Heimat, Vaterland: the Reinvention of Concepts by the Bavarian CSU. German Politics 10(3): 13-36.
Journal papers: online
- Sutherland, Claire (2006). ASEAN Discourse: The Rhetoric of Human Rights and Asian Values. Borderlands 5(2).