Prospective employers tend to start their conversations with us saying something like I don’t know if you can help me but…. Don't worry, students will attempt anything and everything. As long as it is legal , decent and honest we will advertise for you.
The following is a selection of jobs that students have done since the Student Employment Service started in 1996.
- Mountains of photocopying, word processing, filing and envelope stuffing
- Translation of documents into Urdu, Polish, Italian, Chinese
- Transcribing recorded interviews
- Creation and maintenance of database and websites
- Typing up hand written notes
- Telephone customer service
- Telephone fund raising for the Annual Giving Programme
- Mentoring local pupils
- Roles as both Conference receptionists and assistants to collate, then later distribute delegate packs
- Service of food and drinks both at prestigious events and every day in bars, colleges and restaurants
- Market research at Durham Cricket Club
- Traffic surveys
Availability of students
The availability of students varies greatly depending upon their current academic workload, how well organised they are, and their other commitments. We can normally find students, or their partners who are available to work, most of the year round. We also provide a service to students home for the holidays from other universities.
How to advertise a vacancy
If you would like to advertise a vacancy to our students, please use the "How To Advertise" tab to the left of this page. This details how to use our fast track online vacancy database which students use to find part-time, temporary and vacation work.
We need as much information as possible about:
- the job to be advertised
- the hours to be worked
- the hourly rate of pay
- how students are to apply
- the closing date for application
If you need any further help or advice before placing a vacancy please either ring or email. Link to contact page.
The Palatine Centre
Tel: 0191 334 1437
Mon - Fri 9am- 5pm
Queen's Campus, Stockton
Tel: 0191 334 0202
Fax: 0191 334 0204
Mon - Fri 10am - 4:30pm (term time)
Mon - Fri 10am - 12pm and 1pm - 4.30pm (vacations)